• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

News: USAA will start insuring deuces and other MVs in the fall

AROOGA

TexAndy,
Got mine thru State Farm, no problemas. However, I think you have to understand that the cheap rates correspond to limited use like periodic vintage MV events and maybe under 1500 miles/year use. When you approach frequent use or daily driver you increase the risk. If you were the insurance co. what would you do?
SF,
T.

Bighurt

I have mine through State Farm they had to send it to the underwriter for approval, and its a case by case basis but I'm covered on a personal policy. However its just liability...

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you ALL for contributing to this Thread:!:

I have just one request for those in this discussion.....:idea::

Since Motor Vehicle Insurance Laws and Policies vary from State to State (and probably are different in Canada & elswhere), PLEASE STATE YOUR STATE when adding to this Thread so we can all keep it in an approrate perspective.

This should help us all through these muddy waters a little easier (even without a 6x6):!:

Thank You,
John Bariou
San Angelo, Texas
Texas Deptpartment of Insurance - License #1117447, NPN: 6374873
(for Funeral Pre-Arrangements ONLY)

drjconley

If someone in the automotive insurance industry could help clarify something for me. The medical insurance companys I deal with in California record all of the conversations with the doctors representatives when we get preauthorization to do a procedure. If there is a problem down the road when the doctor requests payment the insurance company will pull the tape of the conversation with their agent. The insurance company will honor any promises given by their agent. My question is, does the automotive insurance industry operate the same? If so, as long as we the mv owners are honest with the insurance companys they should have to honor any policys written by their agent. I also have a mv with USAA.

Jim

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insurance agents have what is called "Errors and Ommision" coverage in the event they misrepresent something to YOU. The actual auto company may pay a claim that an agent wrote a policy for on a case-by-case basis. Say you bumped a Civic with your deuce and caused $2500 in damage they would probably cover you, go after the agent's E&O coverage, and then cancel your policy. If you hit a school bus full of kids and killed 10 of them then they would probably pull out the "policy wasn't valid" and deny it.

Bottom line is, NO MATTER where you live, or WHAT YOUR AGENT said, it's still YOUR responsibility to read your policy. Read what "your insured auto" means in the definitions section and read ALL of the Exclusions section. If at any point it says vehicles over a certain weight are not covered and yours is over that weight then you don't have insurance (sorry for the yelling but this just doesn't seem to get through to people).

I worked for Progressive Claims as a manager for 10 years and at no point did we insure vehicles over 10k GVW on a Personal Auto Policy. We denied many claims because a customer rented a Uhaul thinking their auto policy covered it when it didn't. That's not to say Progressive wouldn't cover it on a Commercial Policy but not on an Auto Policy. I've been retired for 6 years so things might have changed but I doubt that would have.

Again, please read those sections of your policy at the least. It's better to know now and fix it than fight it after the fact.

airmech3839

I just got off the phone yesterday with my State Farm agent here in Georgia and he said he has insured them in the past. He is retired Airforce and used to drive one. He made sure when he talked to the underwriter that they knew what it was. He had to talk to 3 different ones to find one that knew what he meant. I will have to have a light commercial policy and pay about 70 bucks a month. But no limitations! I asked about classic and he said that there were too many restrictions on how you use the truck. He looked around and that was the cheapest that they could do for now. He said that in 3 yrs. that could drop by half as long as record stays clean.

Tracy

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Folks, there is another thread covering a lot of insurers and state and other info. I started it after finding USAA wasn;t going to cover vehicles over 10K pounds. Think it's entitled No Garage, Need Insurance. It's about 16 pages long or so.

nofearnohope

USAA insurance converage

I just confirmed that the personal policy I added my Duece to will not cover my truck. The commercial lady also confirmed that Progressive is their underwriter and is looking at adding the military vehicles as their own class, but still as commercial. My problem is that since USAA serves military people and these are military trucks being used as personal vehicles, why isn't USAA looking at adding these as a personal insurance vehicle? Anyone who has USAA insurance and would like a personal policy for their mv, please send an email requesting this type of service to wendy.contreras@usaa.com and she has stated that she will forward these on to the appropriate people.

ABN173

Now if only they would cover motorcycles...
I use USAA myself, I however am not a big fan of progressive. USAA had me get my motorcycle insurance through them. I have a clean driving record (without any recent tickets or accidents & absolutely none during the insured period) and after the 1st year my rates went up and they only offered me an option of three large payments which I could not afford so I let the policy expire at the end of the first year. I did not drive my bike I simply parked it in the carport on base......well Progressive never replied to any of my e-mails but they wasted no time in telling the state of Georgia that my policy was canceled. So now I mess to straighten out. I love USAA they are a great company but again with progressive well.......... not so much. My two cents anyway.

tsmall07

I had my M35 insured with USAA through Progressive and They new exactly what it was. I even sent pictures and told them the weight. They charged me $500/6 months though. :roll: Now I have State Farm and it started out at $30/6 months but since they got pictures, it went up to $240/6 months. I think I'll have to leave it parked until I get a real job. I can't afford to insure the thing.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progressive was the cheaper one, at $170/6 months. I'm going to go down there and look at any fine print I can to make sure they really do know what it is and that the policy will be valid and conform to their own rules.

TexAndy, any update on Progressive's issuance of policys?

Rick

TexAndy

TexAndy, any update on Progressive's issuance of policys?

Rick
I haven't talked to them again. I went with Falcon insurance group. $380 for a year. However, I did go with a 6 month policy renewal, so I'll be flexible about who I go with by the time they know.

I'll call USAA again and get an update maybe the end of August. That's about the earliest the lady said they'd know the details of the program.

TexAndy

I had my M35 insured with USAA through Progressive and They new exactly what it was. I even sent pictures and told them the weight. They charged me $500/6 months though. :roll: Now I have State Farm and it started out at $30/6 months but since they got pictures, it went up to $240/6 months. I think I'll have to leave it parked until I get a real job. I can't afford to insure the thing.
Must be a Virginia thing, then.

My experience was that Progressive would not insure it as a personal vehicle because it weighed greater than 12k pounds.

So they were GOING to insure it as a commercial vehicle until they found out that it was a former military vehicle. At that point, they said they couldn't insure it. No way no how. No MVs.

JohnFire

Now if only they would cover motorcycles...
Matt, I would love that too.

When I got out of the military, I was ushered towards progressive for my M1009, a few months later they called to say that my vehicle vin wasn't comming up right. So I explained that it had been a military vehicle and that is the reason for the vin not matching their standard system. The promptly told me that they cannot insure a vehicle of that size, and I went round and round trying to explain what it was and that it was the same as a civilian one. No luck so I dumped them and went with USAA.

I'm loc in GA. I've checked limits of $100K/$300K, same as our daily drivers. Progressive (USAA) was $450/6 mo w/restriction of 50 miles from my home. State farm is $342/6 mo w/no restrictions. Haggerty is $150 per year.

Question is, if I decide to haul a load of firewood in my deuce and get in a wreck, will they refuse to pay because it doesn't conform to "normal collectible car use"? Do those of you who have Haggerty's keep them in a locked garage?

I bet a lot of people use their vehicles for stuff other than "collectible car use". Are they all just taking a huge risk with their coverage?

Jakob

That's something I'm starting to wonder about as well. Who can I get insurance through that'll allow me to take a trip to Missouri or Ohio (and etc) if I want and not have to worry if I'm covered or not. What if I want to haul firewood or some scrap metal? What if I want to haul my trail truck on a trailer? I plan on getting regular plates since it's going to get more use than I planned when I originally bought the truck.