• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Next 002 Issue

dangier

I have a couple of other threads documenting getting two 002's going that I purchased in a private sale. From rotating diodes to starter/flywheel replacement, and general cleanup, it has been a challenge. After diagnosing low compression on one cylinder (325 vs 465 psi), I pulled the head. This unit has excessive blowback from oil fill. Top of pistons look good. Pulled pistons out and while cleaning the ring lands, discovered both pistons are cracked under #2 ring land. Appears like starting fluid could have been used. Glow plugs were about half there. Must have started hard. As soon and the rain stops, I need to try and salvage 2 piston assemblies from spare engines (both engines are stuck right now).

Another project I do not need right now.....
David

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got (2) 002s I am currently sitting on, that both require the IP to be pulled and gone through. I hear ya...

Chainbreaker

Yep, I hear ya too. Really don't need another project right now. Unfortunately my #3 -002 genset has begun starting hard when really cold, starts perfectly fine in warm weather with clear exhaust. So, this summer I replaced both glow plugs and one broken terminal clip and then verified intake heaters & glow plugs were all functioning 100%. It then started with ease in summer months...Yaay! We had a cold snap a few weeks ago, so I went out to see how it now started with new glow plugs when stone cold in early a.m with fingers crossed....No improvement at all...yuck! Still starts hard, one cylinder seems to not fire off until the other one fires and gets RPM's up. I'm also now getting some blow-by when removing dipstick, I think it might have similar issues - broken ring or cracked piston... Might have had starting fluid used before I bought it as the guy I bought it from said he had given up on trying to getting it started and professed that he wasn't a diesel mechanic. Initially I was only going to use it as a "parts donor" but once I found the stop solenoid hanging up and fixed it, it ran quite well in summer but progressively got worse at starting last winter.

Now, I need to find a compression tester that has right adapter to fit the glow plug hole and take some readings.

Oh well, its all a labor of love isn't it? Well at least I keep telling myself that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks