• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NH to Fort Drum AAR

BrianAnthony

First of all a big thanks to doghead for helping me out. I won a M101A2 in Event 5014. From submission to BC to my being notified of a paid in full invoice was 7 days, I was expecting a couple of week wait. I contacted doghead to see if he could check out the condition of the trailer and he was actually going up to Drum the next morning. doghead scoped it out and told me I should be good to back on and go. I met doghead out in his neck of the woods, had breakfast at a great diner and headed North about an hour to Drum. We spent all of 10 minutes in the office then Kevin, the GL site manager had us drive into the yard where he had the trailer waiting. I backed on to the lunette, rigged up the lights I brought out and was ready to head home (7-1/2 hours). Kevin looks to run a tight yard. He had a few extra minutes so he let us look around. I would not think anything would go missing in that yard as Kevin stayed right with us. After dropping doghead off it was back to NH (about 290 miles) The trailer towed like a dream. It has new tires on it and the tub looks to be fairly new. One of the spec plates said : Chassis, Trailer M116A2 modified with heavy spring kit. Are all 3/4 ton trailers on the M116A2 chassis? All I have to do now is convince my wife that I need a trailer with a cover to put my 002A generator in! Thanks to all on the SS site for the information that you put out there. Brian

Attachments

LanceRobson

The M116 trailer is the designation of the original bare chassis. The cargo body bolted to it changed it to a Trailer, Cargo, 3/4 ton M101.

Some variations such as the generator bed or the pioneer tool beds did not get a new model number, just a name change i.e. Trailer, Generator or Trailer, Pioneer Tool Set, Electric.

I'm unsure of the exact differences between the M101, M101A1 and M101A2 etc. but along the way the trailer was changed from having 9.00-16 wheels and corresponding hubs (due to it's original intended use of being towed by the M37 family) to the axles and wheels to match the CUCV and HMMWV families. I think the hydraulic surge brakes were added in the M101A1 to M101A2 change of standards.

More drain holes around the perimeter of the bed were added as thing went along to help with the beds rotting due to the bed floor to side wall seams awlays being wet of damp.

Trailers expected to be at or over the 3/4 ton loads were often converted to the heavier suspension. Some were done in a formal setting such as a depot, some were done by the using units. Not all with the heavier suspension had the data plate reflecting the update attached.

Bows often show up at shows for $10 each or thereabouts, prices on tops can be all over the place. I've seen then from $50 to $150 but usually around $100.

We used to mount a single MEP-002A or 003A in a 3/4 ton trailer with a deuce or M809 series fuel tank to save worrying about fuel resupply. We same poles to hold up the end flaps like short awnings to let the air flow through.

Lance

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Doghead's a good dude.

Congrats on your trailer! What are you going to use it for?

KsM715

If you're going to put a gen. in the trailer I would pony up for the bows and cover.

Just look at the difference between anything (I mean anything, cars, tools, toys, ect...) stored outside to anything thats kept out of the weather. Worth it IMHO.

( luckily the M101a2 I just won last week has the bows and cover included :-D)

Last edited:

ralbelt

Happy to hear a safe trip. Doghead is storing a m101a2 for me that I hope to pick up in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to the ride and meeting Him.
I'm leaving for FL in the AM and after I get back and get caught up at work I'll start planning for the pick up.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brian, I had a great time meeting and riding along with you. I think you won a great trailer! Glad your trip was enjoyable. Half the fun of this hobby, is meeting the people Thanks again, for everything.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks