• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc 250 cummins

Sirblissfull

"M818 van truck"

M818 is a tractor.

M820 M820A1 M820A2 are 5 ton van trucks. M109 and M185 are the 2.5 ton vans. Is this some kind of custom mod truck?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rebuild is sitting out in the barn with a blown head gasket. I hear they are prone to that.

What kind of issues were you referring to?

And yes, the 818 is a tractor.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
picking up a M818 van truck in a week or so . any one have any issues with the NHC 250 Cummings
t120r
Wyoming
IF you don't know what your buying, maybe find out first, reading the TMs might be a good idea and helpful.
The -10 has a bunch of GOOD how to tips ( like starting, operating rpm ect)

you can find them here
JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB
OR
Free Military Army Manuals!
OR
https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms/ind...5fb95459e-A3015A99-D14A-19E1-238F1793FB3D9566
This is the mil. TM web site,
--says bad cert., click to go anyway,

Last edited:

mktopside

Banned
who cares whether 818 or 820 its a van truck thought maybe any issues with the Cummings engine
Well, in reality nobody here really cares what you buy, if it breaks, or if you are miserable because you "didn't sweat the small stuff". Good luck, we'll be over here not caring

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, since you put it that way t120r, you will with an attitude like that looking for help from the members of this site who know quite a bit more than you about MVs.

That does not include me but Ron is correct, read the manuals. Post a pic.

Congrats on the truck and good luck in the recovery, it sounds like you are going to need it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, in reality nobody here really cares what you buy, if it breaks, or if you are miserable because you "didn't sweat the small stuff". Good luck, we'll be over here not caring

Funny, I wish I had said it.

:)

area52

The Cummins engines have not been made in a long time therefor parts are kinda hard to come by if you have a major meltdown. The filters are over the counter. They are large displacement engines so just dont over rev the engine. One issue is the PCB - protective control box - search on here for some of the threads about it.

post pics and welcome to the nuthouse!! :D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 250 is a natually aspirated engine.......in a heavy truck it lacks pulling power and due to the way the transmission is set up there is a big drop in RPM from 2-3......it can be difficult to build speed up or maintain speed in rolling hills or when pulling grades.

800 series trucks are big, loud and expensive to own and operate. You may need a CDL to drive one in your state and insurance can be an issue.

Fuel milage sucks and always will....especially in a van. You will be driving a low geared vehicle with the aerodynamics of a concrete block. 3-4 miles per gallon is optimistic if you have a load on.

As stated above it is an old engine and finding an old school mechanic who really knows how to work on them can be a challenge.

I have heard that if you spend a couple of grand having the pump set up and putting a turbo on you can make good power with it.

People here will do everything in their power to help you but you need to check your attitude at the door.

bearboley

Its kinda a funny thing the gap is big between 2 and 3 just like mentioned above, which makes you lug the motor and Cummins where notorious for stretching head bolts and therefore blowing head gaskets when you lugged them hard back in the day. Go fiqure