• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC-250 IP rebuild?

halftrack

Is rebuilding a 5 ton NHC 250 injector pump something that a mechanically inclined individuall like myself capable of doing or is it not worth it and just get a replacement. I am thinking that a diaphram is bad in the pump.

Cdub

I would say yes......!!!

Read and do as much research as you can.......Get some advice along the way.

Take your time.......don't be in a rush to finish.

If you don't have the necessary tools and they're not that costly then get them. You can't go wrong with buying too many tools.

If you mess it up the first time then do it over and get it right.....

How do you know if you can do it if you don't at least try........????

seya,

Craig

mitchellracing

i rebuilt the pump on mine . i got a rebuild kit from truck pro because cummins said they no longer rebuild their own pumps . the kit comes with all the seals orings the governor patrs. the kit was $38.50 and the guy at truck pro said to make sure all the surfaces were clean and dont use silicone. just dont move the fuel screw inside of the thorttle shaft and you should be fine.i have a couple pics of the pump took apart if ya need them.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those pumps don't have a diaphram. What makes you think you have a "bad" one? I have built them moonlighting, but, if you want it to run right, have it done at a reputable fuel shop. You could have low fuel pressure, you build it, and it will most likely have the same issue. If you had a leak, and it ran good, i'd say do it yourself, but for a performance issue, have it done. FYI, it should cost around $150 max to fix it unless it needs a throttle shaft and housing.

halftrack

It looses prime everytime and and I know it is not from sucking air from the pump to the tank. When I did get it running, it ran perfectly with lots of power. I believe it is letting air in from some where in the pump letting the fuel drop back into the filter housing. The fiter housing is pack full of fuel everytime so I know it is not a leaky fitler housing. Its frustrating but Through trial and error I concluded it must be in the IP some where but it is hard to believe that knowing that when it is running it runs perfect.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
jason, you would be SUPRISED how small a air leak will cause this, does it surge at idle

halftrack

No it does not surge at idle. However, the M818 surges at idle but I know it has a air leak in the fuel switch valve. Is that what causes that surge?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you take it apart, do some troubleshooting. Get a clear line, Ace hardware has the line, just clear PVC hose, and a couple of push on # 10 swivels...If you can't find them, I can send you some. Install the line, run it at high idle-no load and watch the line. No big bubbles, you're good. Big bubbles, your issue is downstream. If that's all good, let it sit overnite and check the hose to see if fuel is there or has bled back. If it's there, you have other issues, pump or injectors. If it's not there, there is a leak. The pump body is pressurized and a leak there usually results in an external leak, but that doesn't mean the th. shaft isn't leaking. There is a quad ring between the gear pump and the pulsation damper. I'd do the damper and the mounting ring 1st. Good luck, take pics.

One other thing I forgot. Sometimes the coils on the fuel shut off, swell. That can cause hard starts and low power. There is also a disc inside there that, if it has a deep groove in the rubber, or has lost a portion of the rubber, or the wave washer has broken, will let the fuel bleed back. It will start hard every time, but run good after it dies finally lite.
HTH

halftrack

Excellent ideas will and 73m819. This is exactly why I belong to this forum. The wealth of knowledge.

I thought about a clear hose but thought it would collapse due to suction pressure. Nevertheless, I am going to try it now. And yes, I will take lots of pictures.

Crash_AF

73m819 said:
jason, you would be SUPRISED how small a air leak will cause this, does it surge at idle
So if my 818 surges at idle and is a bear to start after sitting for a day, then it's probably an air leak in the feed lines from the tank to the pump?

Later,
Joe

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
an air leak almost for sure, where the air leak is a whole ball game by it self

martinsaunders06

my 816 exactly the same,wont start after a few days but also if left idling becomes fluffy idling and poor throttle response.have checked tank and lines and are ok.injectors have been done as well.i did find that pump always felt damp with fuel from around rear of casing but not enough to drip tho so i came to conclusion it was sucking air in from a gasket/seal.the pump is away at moment being checked/done

mitchellracing

Mine was sucking air and would leak down after it sat thats why i rebuilt the pump . I started at the tank and put all new hoses on it and all that got to the pump and figured it was next. As i started taking the pump apart I found between the two havles where the gears are there was a fuel trail where it was leaking kinda narrowed it down. the fuel dampener orings were also leaking that might be what you were calling a diaghram . As far as to putting new seals in the pump its not a problem as long as you dont move the adjustment screws. A neat trouble shooting tip with a pt pump ,when ya mash the gas if its slow to accelerate but doesnt slow right down when ya let off its sucking air. If it dosent accelerate but returns to idle when ya let off the pump is worn.

Hooty481

I hate to start a new thread so im gonna post here and i was reading this entire thread hoping for pictures at the end but i was dissapointed.

My pump is leaking at the throttle shaft. truck runs great all of the time and the fuel bleeds off after a few days but how hard will it be to change the o-rings on the throttle shaft. I have been told i will have to take the entire pump apart. is there any schematic or tm that goes into detail of this.

I can get a reman pump for 375 bucks and am thinking of going this route. What do you think.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My .02 take them to the correct injection shop let them do there stuff. Have them bring up the rail pressure to 180 on the NHC250 and add a little fuel across the board.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks