• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc 250 oil leak

BenRoberts

Certified insane
My 923 with the nhc 250 started an oil leak out of the large hose that comes out of the side of the oil pan and goes up to in front of the oil filter housing. Is this something that can be bought or is this a make it your self sort of fix. looks easy to change just need one first. ill get some pics up later today.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Pn AS-1602906MS NSN 4720-00-607-7645. only one i see is the one i dont need unless the 2 hoses are the same. they have different part numbers though

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, you need the other one. It's on Ebay if you don't want to replace the hose and reuse the ends. One is a little longer than the other so they have different part numbers.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The HOSE NEW, NOT nos can be gotten from Cummins or any good truck shop, I would NOT use a nos hose because you do not know how old it is, could be from when the first 809 series was introduced, which means you could end up with the same issue or worse, being OLD nos means the hose will NOT be as flexible as it should be, it will tend to be hard, the inner sheath and wire could have deteriorated, the LAST thing you want to have either of those oil pump hoses BLOW OUT, the pressure side WILL pump ALL the oil OUT in about 30 sec (dead engine), if the suction hose gets a hole, the pump WILL suck air not oil, captivating the pump which will kill the pump and the engine.

So the BOTTOM LINE, BUY NEW hoses and when replacing one, REPLACE BOTH because both are most likely same age which means if one died then the other may be close, TWO NEW hoses may cost more then OLD nos, BUT still CHEAPER then installing another engine.

Last edited:

sd39u

Thanks for asking this question, just discovered this exact same leak on my truck. Time to order both hoses and change the oil again!!!

BenRoberts

Certified insane
The hose NEW, NOT nos can be gotten from Cummins or any good truck shop, I would NOT use a nos hose because you do not know how old it is, could be from when the first 809 series was introduced, which means you could end up with the same issue or worse, being OLD nos means the hose will NOT be as flexible as it should be, it will tend to be hard, the inner sheath and wire could have deteriorated, the LAST thing you want to have either of those oil pump hoses BLOW OUT, the pressure side WILL pump ALL the oil OUT in about 30 sec (dead engine), if the suction hose gets a hole, the pump WILL suck air not oil, captivating the pump which will kill the pump and the engine.

So the BOTTOM LINE, BUY NEW hoses and when replacing one, REPLACE BOTH because both are most likely same age which means if one died then the other may be close, TWO NEW hoses may cost more then OLD nos, BUT still CHEAPER then installing another engine.
New absolutely would be the way to go. when asking cummins about the new hose would I just tell them its for a nhc250 and do you thing they still support it?

F18hornetM

The NHC 250 hasn't been used commercially in years but still lots of parts around. I am not sure of the ends on these hoses but a good hydraulic shop may be able to make them. Its basically hot oil under very little pressure. Just an idea if you have trouble finding them.
I personally do not like reusable ends.. they do work and years ago that's what everybody used...but today, only in a pinch. I would prefer crimp on. Good luck with your repair

Last edited:

BenRoberts

Certified insane
The NHC 250 hasn't been used commercially in years but still lots of parts around. I am not sure of the ends on these hoses but a good hydraulic shop may be able to make them. Its basically hot oil under very little pressure. Just an idea if you have trouble finding them.
I personally do not like reusable ends.. they do work and years ago that's what everybody used...but today, only in a pinch. I would prefer crimp on. Good luck with your repair
Thank you, I got a lead on a local shop that makes all the hoses for another local shop im going to check out and if they cant help im going to call cummins and see what happens. Always an adventure with this old war horse:D

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
New absolutely would be the way to go. when asking cummins about the new hose would I just tell them its for a nhc250 and do you thing they still support it?
Use the part number in the -P, tell them the descreption, that should get you the hoses.

tbar123

I have that hose and for a GOOD DEAL.I also guarantee everything that I sell. These hoses maybe NOS, But are in great shape as I have one on my truck and no defects.I understand concerns for the integrity of a NOS hose, But I cannot under good faith sell anything that I know is faulty!

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Im confused. On the diagram I posted earlier everyone and their brother has #1 hose and not a soul has #3. now #1 is longer but what i want to know is will it still work in the #3 spot

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Given the concerns that Ron has appropiately brought to the table, I'll add a disclaimer to this post. I repair and upgrade my truck with surplus. It must be unavailable, extremely cost prohibitive or for an emergency repair for me to stray from this. I'm not a purist by any means. I use parts from all different types of MVs on my truck. I just prefer it to be surplus. I accept the risks and rewards of doing it this way as this is part of the hobby for me. I don't expect or intend to lead others to follow suit. These two hoses are pretty important after all.

Having said that...

To answer your questions Ben, search Ebay using the NSN including the dashes and the hose will be in the related searches, if you choose this route. I would not use the longer one because of the many things that can cause chaffing in this area. Since it's connected to the engine, anything it would rub against would be stationary and quickly cause problems.

Here are some more part numbers for the one your looking for. Cummins ought to be able to come up with something with these.

Screenshot_2016-05-08-17-08-17.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ben, Look up Triad Technologies on River Road in Moraine. If they can't build you a brand new hose it probably can't be done. Plus, they are the Parker-Hannifin dealer for the south Dayton area.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have that hose and for a GOOD DEAL.I also guarantee everything that I sell. These hoses maybe NOS, But are in great shape as I have one on my truck and no defects.I understand concerns for the integrity of a NOS hose, But I cannot under good faith sell anything that I know is faulty!
I've gotten the hoses from Tbar, they are new and in perfect shape. They will out last me.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
update. The longer will fit it the short hose position. It was a pain in the rear and is not ideal but it does fit. im doing this till the new sort one is made but just wanted to post it will work in a pinch

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks