• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc 250 starter trouble

bigelk50

Ok guys I am stumped. It is probably some thing small I am missing but I need your help. About a month ago my M818's starter stuck in the crank position. Luckily I did not have a total melt down by the time I got the + battery cable off.

Today I pulled the starter and then took apart the solenoid and the contacts were burnt pretty bad. I cleaned them up and the disc that pushes against them. Put it back to gather and reinstalled. Hooked everything up the way it came off and hit the switch. All that I get is a click in the solenoid. The batteries are at full charge, but I do not have a load tester. I checked and tested my switches, no problems there. I am out of ideas, other than taking the starter to the shop to be looked at.

Any ideas?? TIA

poppop

Some how it is not making contact inside the solinoid to turn the starter. the disk you cleaned up is suppossed to do that. If the click is a heavy thud then the starter drive is enguaging but no contact for the starter motor. In my experence once one sticks it is better to replace it rather than chance another sticking. On my farm tractors I usually short the hot cable directly to the starter motor terminal to be sure the motor is OK. If it spins then the problem is in the solinoid.

bigelk50

poppop I did check like you said to make sure the starter motor spun, and it did. My only thought is that the disk is not touching the two contacts that it should. It does have a heavy duty click like you said. I think that I will find new contacts for it and try that.

I noticed on the cone end of the starter, if you remove a plug there is screw adjustment on what would be the opposite end of the disk. Any ideas what this does?

Thanks for the help.

poppop

No ideas on the screw. Check with a starter shop or auto parts store if you buy a new solinoid. These things are pretty standard and are the same on lots of big diesels. Will probab;y cost a lot less than a surplus dealer.

dlawbrey

Did you put the start wire and ground wire on the wrong terminal?The ground wire goes on the terminal closest to the frame. and the one from the switch goes closest to the engine. When reversed the solenoid will only click. Just ask me how I know.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to set the contact pressure/throw, with that adjustment you noticed. As usual, look at the Starter TM, for the adjustment procedure.

bigelk50

Did you put the start wire and ground wire on the wrong terminal?The ground wire goes on the terminal closest to the frame. and the one from the switch goes closest to the engine. When reversed the solenoid will only click. Just ask me how I know.

I never removed the small ground wire that goes from the starter to the solenoid. On my truck that is the one closest to the engine. The wire (#74) I think comes from the switch and goes on the terminal closest to the frame. I could try to reverse it, but like I said I never took the ground wire off. Thanks i will try it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks