• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nhc 400 in a m818

tiny110

Banned
Sorry it a NTC 400. I know a guy that has a cummins reconditioned motor still sitting in the crate. I told him that I am interested in it but we haven't talked money yet. He said he will sell it For the right price. I have been weighing my options between a repowering or turboing the n h c 250. 400 horsepower in a m 818 on 53 inch tires would be just about my dream truck.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It won't be any faster than the stock one w/ same wheels unless the t-case is changed. been through all that.
53" wheels = 59MPH redline.

stock wheels and 939 t-case = 69MPH redline.
cruise 60-63 all day, not inconveniencing the line of 40 cars behind me in the right lane, making decent time on trips, and not touching the redline.

tiny110

Banned
My m818 will do im guessing 70mph judging by how fast the traffic is passing me on the interstate. But I would be happy with doing 65 if it meant my truck would pull better. I don't care about going any faster the speed of trust travels is ok with me. I just want to get up to that speed faster. I have a m871 with 28,000 lb. On it, thats why my truck needs that power so I can put it at interstate speeds(60-70).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My m818 will do im guessing 70mph judging by how fast the traffic is passing me on the interstate. But I would be happy with doing 65 if it meant my truck would pull better. I don't care about going any faster the speed of trust travels is ok with me. I just want to get up to that speed faster. I have a m871 with 28,000 lb. On it, thats why my truck needs that power so I can put it at interstate speeds(60-70).
WILL pull a LOT better if you get rid of those big tires, 70 mph, is a little fast for those tires ( more like 55 rated), in fact a bit fast for a empty 818 on stock tires, let alone pulling a trailer with a load, sure glad your in TX. a long way from GA., a 818 is not a fast vehicle, not designed to be, it is not going to matter how COOL your army truck looks when grandmom and grandkids get hurt, will NOT HELP the MV hobby one bit.

If you want to run interstate, get a PETE, KW, ect, put the 818 sheet metal on it, most will not know the difference, still will not have the big tires, but things WILL be a lot safer. I can picture (hope you can also) the event (MESS) when one of those tires blow while the 818/871/14 tons of load is doing 70, OR a wheel cylinder goes as soccer pulls out in front of you, those first few seconds will mean life and DEATH (w/c goes means no air pack which means NO trailer brakes till the trailer brake control is used) . being that you were running way out of spec tires going way above the designed speed of the truck and tires, everything that happened will be YOUR fault. I would bet you would not handle it well if some GO FASTER ran over your family let alone in a old army truck designed to do 55, so why put EVERYBODY on the road at risk. I DO KNOW one thing that if my family or a close friend got run over by a go faster, my PTSD would NOT handle things well.

Last edited:

tiny110

Banned
Thank you i under stand the big tires are not helping the gearing for pulling. Like I have stated before the big tires WILL BE COMING OFF! I stated that the truck will do 70 miles an hour that is a top speed not a sustained speed. The point for me for having bigger tires is to reduce the rpm's. I am happy with doing 60Mph. I bought the wheels and tires at auction and all I really wanted was the wheels. (But thay do look good!)

I was wondering how long it would take for the safety police to chime in. I bet if it were up to you my truck would be covered in safety warning stickers. Lol

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thank you i under stand the big tires are not helping the gearing for pulling. Like I have stated before the big tires WILL BE COMING OFF! I stated that the truck will do 70 miles an hour that is a top speed not a sustained speed. The point for me for having bigger tires is to reduce the rpm's. I am happy with doing 60Mph. I bought the wheels and tires at auction and all I really wanted was the wheels. (But thay do look good!)

I was wondering how long it would take for the safety police to chime in. I bet if it were up to you my truck would be covered in safety warning stickers. Lol
No, just run close to designed use in a safe manner, so other are not put in any more risk then needed, it WILL take ONE major event by a GO FASTER in a old army truck to SCREW everybody in the MV hobby world, it is already getting harder and harder to REGESTER these trucks in some states.

AGAIN If you don't like YOUR family at risk, WHY put OTHER families at risk ?????

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
tiny110;1154227[COLOR= said:
Some times you just cant help stupid Better for you to stay in GA peaple like you dont work out to well in texas! Lol
I truly understand that, that is WHY I brought up to you the loss of a W/C along with the loss of trailer brakes, the under rated tires, using a truck way beyond it's design, your TOTAL disregard of others, the total disregard of the MV hobby, ect, JUST TRYING TO HELP YOU. I can guarantee this term WILL be used when you visit court when soccer mom gets run over.

I would guess that you are as wrong on this as operating the truck as you do and most TX. MV owners as well as drivers in that state would wish that you would find a new state to endanger if they knew, maybe NM., OK. as long as not GA., got enough driving hazards here already.

Last edited:

tiny110

Banned
You have no idea how i use my truck,how fast i drive, how i drive my truck or my level of driving experience. You might want to know what you are talking about be for you start pointing fingers. Cool your wheels quick draw! Lol

If you don't have anything constructive to say don't say nothin at all. Please!

tiny110

Banned
If there is a cummins expert out there that can let me know what repowers would be good please let me know what will fit. I don't want to really mess with the drivetrain too much. I am willing to put in the new cross members or motor mounts. Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You If you don't have anything constructive to say don't say nothin at all. Please!
I have something to say.....

Enjoy your time off for calling a Moderator "stupid"

Take 3 days off.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

"And now electritions apprentice."

You should probably learn how to spell "electrician's" before you take your Journeyman's test. :doh:

Jonathan
Commercial/Industrial Electrician 28 years

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks