• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nice cutv's on gov liquidation

dilvoy

They are sending up stuff from Barstow. I usually found stuff that was used by the Marine Corp at Barstow to be used up, but sometimes something came from somewhere else and was nice. Abut seven or eight years ago, while at Barstow inspecting a couple of M1008's that both had bent frames and front axles, I heard a loud engine sound. Just a hundred yards away was a test track where an M113 was climbing and decending the hill over and over again. It was really fun watching this. A little later someone drove the same course with an M1008. That truck was airborne to many times to count.

85-m1028

I really didn't think you could bend a frame on an m1008 :shock: the bumpers have HQ15 tagged on em so where that is ??? there were also a couple of duallys but they looked pretty worn out!! Airborn m1008!!!!??? I'll have to try that sometime!! :!:

dilvoy

The bent Cutvee frames that I saw were twisted. It could easily be done by running off of a road and through a ditch when heavily loaded or on the Tracked Vehicle Test Track while empty.

mcne2026

I am going up to inspect the M1008, M1009's and Dually's this Friday, on my way to Idaho. French Camp is only about 5 hours North of me, so I plan on bidding on all of them. I am hoping that so close to the holidays, they won't go up to fast. They all looked pretty clean in the PICs. Very low miles compared to mine.

One the ones without batteries, do I need to bring two batteries to run it home or could I get away with one? If I want to flat tow one home, anyone know where to get a tow bar cheap? I would use my excursion to tow it.

ONTOS66

The bumper HQ15 doesn't mean much by itself. Need to know the rest of the markings to actually identify the unit. HQ is headquarters, which could be anything from a battalion hq on up. As an example when I was the Operations Sergeant Major for a tank battalion I had two wheeled vehicles. HQ3 which was the S3's ride, an M151. The other was HQ13 which was my M35A2. HQ2 was the battalion intelligence officer, HQ4 was the battalion supply officer, etc. HQ1 was the Battalion Commander. The left bumper should have some number like 1-113I (1st Battalion 113th Infantry) or 5-102AR (5th Battalion 102nd Armor) the left bumper usually indicates the division and regiment / battalion. The right bumper has the actual unit ID and vehicle number. (that applies to combat arms, various ash and trash outfits can have all sorts of strange IDs).

dilvoy

mcne2026, If you're really expecting to drive any of the Cutvee's home, you'd be well advised to bring a couple of driveshafts. The Blazers usually don't have bent driveshafts from being fork lifted off of the flat bed trailers, but because of the different balance point, the trucks almost always do and as the Sharp site is not a facility that would have these types of vehicles in use, they have been brought in from somewhere else, which would make trailering any purchase home the safe bet.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at French Camp (Sharp Army Depot) last July picking up my 60KW genset. While we were there, we saw a large group of CUCV's being driven in and turned in to the DRMO. So, they do at times come from units in the area with engines running. I'll have a looksy at GL to see if I recognize them.

gasser

mcne2026 said:
One the ones without batteries, do I need to bring two batteries to run it home or could I get away with one?
You will need to bring two, as the starter needs 24v. You could attempt to create a shorter circuit by using the 24v slave (meaning that a 24v vehicle would have to jump you) - but I would not advise it. Also, if the truck got turned off while away from the base - then you will be SOL.

Best bet - bring two 750CCA batteries and you'll be good to go (at least on that end).

HTH,

-graham

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks