• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice Deuce!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Went on a road trip today to Harbor Freight and decided to stop and see a guy I sold some 14.00s to awhile back that has an M35A2. He is an SS member but I do not know his handle, but his name is Clint. It is a nice truck. He bought 4 14.00s from me in planning on putting them on his truck. I knew it would look great once he got it done. Just didn't expect him to have it done so soon!Here are some pics. I like the custom work he did. Said he had to add a couple extra long leafs to make it reach. Just thought I would share!

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
made them longer so he could move the front axle forward. Why he put 2 longer leafs on the bottom of the spring back and shorten the front drive shaft and made the rear longer.

joshs1ofakindxj

That is a good looking truck.

I was wondering if you could run singled rears with the wheels dished out and the hubs not flipped. I was wondering if I could do that with my stock NDTs so I could have singled rears and a track width closer to the front axle's. When you flip the hubs and run the wheels dished in on the rears you get a narrow looking set of rear axles. It's isn't too much stress on the axles with them dished out like the pictured truck is running is it?

KsM715

I doubt you'll hurt the bearings if you run around empty or nearly empty. Those bearings were designed to carry the truck+10,000lbs down the highway. If you run dished in on un-flipped hubs you'll only bring the rear track inwards about a 3/8"s +/- .

plym49

First off, the truck looks good and Montana, well, what beautiful scenery.

I always wonder when I see torque rods extended. Looks like those here have some steel added inside the groove and then overall. While I am sure that the stretched torque rods are plenty strong in tension or compression, I wonder about how they will handle torsion. I believe that the torque rods twist when the suspension articulates, and that that is the reason they have an I-beam cross-section. The reinforced center section on these stretched rods probably will not twist - they look beefy as can be - which means that only the ends of the torque rods can twist, and that might cause fatigue or some other failure over time. You folks running stretched torque arms - have you experienced any issues?

MTDirtyDeuce

Hey simp, You might make a photographer yet! Pics look good buddy. Thanks. And the deal with the tourque rods is they are extended 3.5". Thats more than i needed to clear the 14.00's but it gives me enough room to put chains on all 6 tires. She is a long way from done tho. I shortened the battery box and slid the fuel tank ahead as much as the straps will allow but plan on relocating them too so i can gain another couple inches for the chains. As for running the rear wheels like that... i think it looks pretty cool but plan on flipping the hubs when i have time. they are WAY too wide and act like a boat anchor in the deep snow.

littlebob

First off, the truck looks good and Montana, well, what beautiful scenery.

I always wonder when I see torque rods extended. Looks like those here have some steel added inside the groove and then overall. While I am sure that the stretched torque rods are plenty strong in tension or compression, I wonder about how they will handle torsion. I believe that the torque rods twist when the suspension articulates, and that that is the reason they have an I-beam cross-section. The reinforced center section on these stretched rods probably will not twist - they look beefy as can be - which means that only the ends of the torque rods can twist, and that might cause fatigue or some other failure over time. You folks running stretched torque arms - have you experienced any issues?
The M35 didn't have the I-beam in the beginning, mine had much smaller round ones. looks like the Military addressed this in the late models. Makes me think there is more stress on them than the bushing can absorb. I'm sure a welder with more experience than me, with the right equipment could make them safe, but I wouldn't want one that wasn't to hit me head on because it wasn't.

plym49

The M35 didn't have the I-beam in the beginning, mine had much smaller round ones. looks like the Military addressed this in the late models. Makes me think there is more stress on them than the bushing can absorb. I'm sure a welder with more experience than me, with the right equipment could make them safe, but I wouldn't want one that wasn't to hit me head on because it wasn't.
I have no doubt that a good welder/fabricator would not have a problem stretching them in a way where the rod would not fail in tension or compression. I'd say that the challenge would be stretching them such that the torsional characteristics did not change (and that they were still good in tension and compression).

Broke Down

i hope i'm not asking a dumb question when i ask, what springs did you use in the rear? this is what i would like to do with mine in the future. i love the truck!!!!

MTDirtyDeuce

Well, thats not really a dumb question. I added 2 extra leafs to the stock spring pack that i had custom cut to my specs. added 4'' to each end 8'' total over what the bottom 2 stock leafs are. then i shortened the longest 2 leafs in the stock spring pack because they hit the top of the spring mount on the axle. Yes they are stock wheels with 14.00x20 tires. i used 12.00x20 tubes due to the loss of width at the wheel. (better to stretch a little than have folds inside when inflated) and reused the stock flaps. But honestly this isn't a very good way to mount tires that size. My truck does not see much highway time at all so i feel its suitable for my use. And i would suggest to anyone be very cautious if you mount them. i hooked up 100 ft of air hose and placed the wheels outside when i aired them up. I would really suggest goin with A-3's or hemitt wheels.

TacticalDoc

I like the way the tires look but isnt it better to have 900s or 1100 duel tires with chains?

Whats the advantage to the super single wheels? Other than looking really cool which they do.