• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nice scare on the freeway...now what happened?

1stDeuce

I don't think a stuck injector does as much knocking on a mechanical pump engine as on a common rail diesel, but they can knock.

How about crawling underneath and checking to make sure all the flywheel to torque converter bolts are still there??? I forget if there's three or 4 on a M1009, but it's worth a check... Could be one bolt backed out, you heard it snagging something until it broke off, and now it's just gone, so not making noise. ??

Keith_J

Thanks all for the info...! My M1009 has a Fluidyne harmonic balancer and I have not had any other issues. Belts, radiator, water pump, oil cooler lines..etc.etc. are all new.

I'm not sure what "over center" is so I will have to be educated on that...:) Can someone give me a explanation of that?

The M1009 does run real smooth though. It was just a weird thing when it happened and it really had me thinking something had let go.

Like I mentioned earlier it seemed as if I only lost one cylinder and the loud clack sound the same as RPM. It was very load and definitely coming from the engine compartment.

Could I have just had one injector stick? I've heard than when they stick it can sound like rod knock.

It did run fine all day long at 65mph and smooth. What RPM is the governor designed to kick in at?
The injection timing in the DB2 pump is controlled by three mechanisms, one of which is centrifugal. The mechanical advantage of the mechanism rises with speed, it can go over-center which will lock this timing advance. I've heard of this rarely but it can happen. Normally, if this happens and there is no throttle request (skinny pedal), you won't notice it and eventually, the mechanism will pull timing down to correct range.

But if the full advance sticks and you push the skinny pedal, there will be harsh diesel noise at lower engine speeds.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Install an overdrive or drop the axle ratios if you want to run with the fast boys. Remember,, these vehicles were designed for the 55 MPH national speed limit.
Negative on that statement.

I routinely drive my M1009 at sustained speeds of 80 mph on the interstate for hours at a time and pulled my MEP 003A on a M116 trailer from FL to TN running between 70-80 mph without issue.

Don't know if you know the difference in gear ratios between the CUCV Blazers verses the CUCV pickup, but your statement is true for the M1008s, just not true for M1009s...