• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nigel's Bobbed M35A2

Nigel Caffiene

Hello!

So, I recently just purchased a 1971 AM Bobbed M35A2 with winch. Very excited to say the least! As this is my first vehicle of this sort, I would appreciate any tips and/or advice.

The immediate questions I have are:

1. For off-roading, what are the critical spares I should not leave home without? I am an experienced off-roader, however going out in the bush with this type of vehicle is just a bit different than a Jeep.

2. On forging water, what preparation do I need to perform on the vehicle in advance? I am ordering from CC Surplus their snorkel.

Here is my two point five tons of fun:

Attachments

DeucesWild11

Looks like a pretty clean truck.. I assume the previous owner took good care of it. You will want to read up on the general maintenance TM's if you have not already.. check for water in the fuel filters, drain the air tanks after each use.. Lubricate the Airpack and regularly check the brake fluid level. I am sure I am missing a bunch but I am fairly new myself. There is a fording hole on the bottom of the trans that you will want to plug if you are going to go through some high water. Looks like this.. I am no expert, I am sure more experienced folks will chime in.. Good luck with her!:-D

Attachments

KsM715

It's only 2 tons of fun now. :p

Thats a good looking truck. I like the modified fender flares on the bed.

If you plan to ford it over the depth of the axles you'll want to relocate the axle vents up higher. The stock ones are known to get gummed up and stuck. They can get stuck either open or closed

oddshot

For off-roading, what are the critical spares I should not leave home without?
SWEET!!!!

Neat idea on the headlamps. Y'all might want to consider "Four Eyes" as a nickname.

For your truck I mean ...:D

You might want to run a search on this topic. There are about a bazillion threads here that will give you some great tips on what you'll need.

oddshot

Last edited:

eagle4g63

If you are going to go as deep as the snorkel is now you need to do a few things:

Run a hose from the air compressor intake to the air filter box....you will see the 1" flanges for this line on both parts.

Your slobber tube needs run up higher, you will see this by your turbo(it comes off the top of the valve cover).

Like said plug hole in trans with the plug that should be down there in a whole next to where it goes.

Run axle vents up higher, or better yet hook them to a pressure fed line like the original way, along with the vent on the top of the trans.

Also not sure if the snorkel you are getting is self supporting but you might have to make a bracket to hold it up. If I can latter I will get you a pick of how I made the bracket for the snorkel on my truck.

Last but not least: NICE TRUCK!!!:beer:

Attachments

I saw that one on ebay a few months ago and I believe I saved a couple of the pics from the ad. I liked the A3 front fenders for extra lighting positions. Looks pretty spiffy! I'm not too crazy about eating up cargo space in the bed with the fuel tank, but otherwise, it's a nice truck! [thumbzup] :driver:

Nigel Caffiene

It's only 2 tons of fun now. :p
Ah, you know, you're right!

Y'all might want to consider "Four Eyes" as a nickname.
I like that actually... Better than Bob. No offense to the Bobs out there mind you.

You might want to run a search on this topic. There are about a bazillion threads here that will give you some great tips on what you'll need.
Currently, doing that in my downtime. As you have written, a bazillion threads I am reading through. In regards to the M35A2, it is like learning a whole new language; especially considering I do not have mine yet.

Make sure the front axle boots are good, carry an extra winch shear pin or two.
:ditto: on the axle boots...
Well do gents, I have already ordered five spares of those pins. So, I'm off to a good start.

If you are going to go as deep as the snorkel is now you need to do a few things:

Run a hose from the air compressor intake to the air filter box....you will see the 1" flanges for this line on both parts.

Your slobber tube needs run up higher, you will see this by your turbo(it comes off the top of the valve cover).

Like said plug hole in trans with the plug that should be down there in a whole next to where it goes.

Run axle vents up higher, or better yet hook them to a pressure fed line like the original way, along with the vent on the top of the trans.

Also not sure if the snorkel you are getting is self supporting but you might have to make a bracket to hold it up. If I can latter I will get you a pick of how I made the bracket for the snorkel on my truck.

Last but not least: NICE TRUCK!!!:beer:
Thanks! The outing I am going on is called "High Water Mark" in Arkansas. Hosted by Central Overland, I am going as a support guide (as I am more familiar guiding in Texas than AK). Here is the link with some images High Water Mark, 2012 - Eventbrite. My colleagues do not know I have aquired the Bobbed Duece, and my intention is to show up, surprise them, and winch their Toyotas if need be with all two tons of green iron :D

I have approximately sixty days to properly outfitt and become acquainted with my new beauty. So again, I deeply appreciate everyones' responses. I will need to fabricate a bracket for the snorkel as my exhuast is routed behind the cab.

I saw that one on ebay a few months ago and I believe I saved a couple of the pics from the ad. I liked the A3 front fenders for extra lighting positions. Looks pretty spiffy! I'm not too crazy about eating up cargo space in the bed with the fuel tank, but otherwise, it's a nice truck! [thumbzup] :driver:
You are correct. This is the truck off eBay. Agreed, I plan on putting the fuel tank back on the side with maybe another on the opposite side of the truck. I will have to see the truck in person to ultimately decide.

I guess we are ready to go hunt some zombies right?!

Good looking truck and attention to detail.
Thank you sir!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks