• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NikeAjaxHercules Missile Systems

No.2Diesel

Hi,

I Thought for a little bit as to where to post this... There should be a "Cold War Discussion Forum" for stuff like this...Any way I hope you enjoy these pics. The following is a short summation on the topic. The first three attachments are .pdfs that explain in better detail. :-o

This missile system was created in the 50s to defend against an attack by waves of Soviet bombers carrying nuclear munitions in their bomb bays. Think Dr. Strangelove. As time and technology progressed this system became absolete as ICBMs were the new threat. It was later found that the ruskies didn't even have a full time bomber force comparable to our SAC (thankfully.)

From the 50s to 1970s these missile batteries were commonplace surrounding populated places and places of significance. Usually made up of two seperate properties consisting of the launch platforms/missile storage and the radar fire direction site.

In my neck of the woods there were seven on L.I. and I remember exploring some of the defunct sites as a kid. Most people didn't even know they were in the neighborhood. The missiles were stored horizontally in shallow bunkers with steel doors that opened downward. Additional missiles could be stored underground and slid on rails to be loaded onto the launcher/erector. The launch sites didn't have much military vehicle assets other than missile dollies and maybe trailers. I have seen several pics that show civilian trucking compaines doing the transport.

There were a couple hundred or more batteries constructed and some still survive. Research your area and you might stumble upon something neat. The best preserved missile battery with the most missiles and aux. equipment (and the only functioning launcher/erector) is located just North of San Francisco at SF-88 within the NPS GNRA. The volunteer organization responsible for the restoration even employs a 5ton wrecker.

There are a few active Nike batteries still located in NATO countries.

Enjoy these pics as they contain several types of military vehicles and trailers that are associated with the operation of the Nike Missile system.

Attachments

No.2Diesel

Pics3

Enjoy.

I'll have to remember to take my own pics when I go on field trips. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was stationed at Alameda, we used to go across the Golden Gate Bridge, take the first exit and go explore all around that Ajax battery. At that time (early 80's) it was fenced off and no one could go near them. Nice to hear they were restored. Thanks for all the pictures![thumbzup]

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was born in Wayne Township, NJ. When I was little, my old man told me there used to be a Nike missile base right behind where the local hardware store was at the time. Time passed, and thanks to the internet, I was able to confirm my dad's story. According to wikipedia, the site was:

NY-88 site
-------------
missiles deployed: Nike 1B, 2C, 30A, 12L-A
defense area: New York Metro area
Site name: Mountain View
active: 1955-1963
control site condition: redeveloped into high-end single family housing, 40 degrees, 56'57"N, 074 degree, 14'43"W
launch site condition: redeveloped into Home Depot, 40 degrees, 53'48"N, 074 degrees, 14'18"W

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

Attachments

3dAngus

I always thought that was one of the prettiest missiles ever built.
BTW, there are two sites within 20 miles of me. One east, and one west.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That GOER looking thing survives at the Army Transportation Museum in Ft. Eustis Virginia. Here's a pic from the web of the one at the museum....

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Wow, sure is nice to have some history on the SS site!!!:beer: Up the road from me we have a Atlas missle silo. There were a few of them around Plattsburg AFB. They were only operational for a short time.

Last edited:

68t

thanks for pictures, 62 to 65 I was station on a nike hercule base in grand island N.Y. during the cuban crisis,s .also was in porter Indiana, where i got out of the army. We had nukes in our missiles, I was a radar operater at the fire control area. During the cuban crisis,s we went to defcon 2 . I thought that was going to be the end.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had a reserve center out at Rocky Point that was located at a former Nike base. It was fun exploring the place. There is also one at Sandy Hook in NJ that is being turned into a museum. There was a great website, not sure if it is still up and running, showing all the former Nike bases. Oh and the school bus garage in Old Bridge, NJ use to be a Nike base also. There were still a lot of it's remains around when I visited it in 2004-5.

A lot of history there.

vtdeucedriver

thanks for pictures, 62 to 65 I was station on a nike hercule base in grand island N.Y. during the cuban crisis,s .also was in porter Indiana, where i got out of the army. We had nukes in our missiles, I was a radar operater at the fire control area. During the cuban crisis,s we went to defcon 2 . I thought that was going to be the end.
THANK YOU !!!!!!
My dad was at Tyndall AFB in 62 loading MB-1 Genie's in F-101's thinking the same thing!

panic_button

Last picture in the 2 post I think is the Naperville IL site. It's now a city park with a plaque and the radar platform still there. I lived near there for many years and also the site in Libertyville IL. Both site are parks and still have some of the old equipment part of the park. There is also an abandon missle site by Wilmont WI, I "toured" it with my dad in the 70's, but can't remember it was a Nike site or a titan site.

Bill W

Doesn't Dave Butler of Vintage Power Wagons own a old missle silo out there in Iowa.

My old neighbor ( Nye Greene ) was in a Nike missle battalion that was moved to So.Fla and put on ready during the cuban missle crisis

srodocker

my grandpa worked on Nike missle sites disarming them. some funny stories had from disarming them telling guys they just undid the wrong thing hahah

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have any pics that were taken of the below-ground magazine and launch areas, whether they are original pics from when the sites were active, or recent when someone ventured down into the remains of the Nike sites?

No.2Diesel

Hi,

Glad you guys enjoyed that stuff! Thanks for sharing your service experiences and the links! I have not taken pics yet of the few I have access to. I'll take my camera with me next time and post em.

Here are some recent pics I found on the web showing whats underground. They were nothing too fancy. Shenkmens link shows some good photos of their access points.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks