• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ Pine Barrens Trip: 11-29-08, Saturday

Mike_Pop

I took a lot of photos and probably have everyone's vehicle so please email me (do not send a PM) if you want me to send a copy to you.

Overall, we had 22 vehicles and many thanks to Dan in the bobbed deuce for leading the way on the trails. I'm getting a lot of positive feedback from the participants.

The group that I was leading consisted of four vehicles coming down the Garden State Parkway. We arrived a little after 9am at Batsto.

Our trip started promptly at 11am from Batsto Village. My original plan was to traverse on some really scenic trails to Atsion State Park. However, I was informed by Dan that there was a bridge that was closed. Dan suggested making our way to 1/4 Mile which is a swampy area along some abandoned railroad tracks.

After we played at 1/4 Mile, the deuces took a trail that went over the railroad tracks. I opted to take the rest of the group around since many of us would have high centered. We then ventured on to Apple Pie Hill to climb the fire tower.

My group of four left Apple Pie Hill along with one other vehicle but they split off to go to Barnegat, NJ. The four of us made our way on some really scenic back roads (Savoy Road) through the Pines until we came out to Route 539 at Route 70.

Here are some pictures of the day. Unfortunately, the new SS site does not allow descriptions to be added to the photos. Gotta love the new and "improved" site.

Attachments

Pinz712

Mike,
Great ride! Thanks for organizing this event.
Suggested title for this ride:
The Pinelands Turkey Tot Trail Ride.
Or
It's Not That Deep Dude Trail Ride!

Maybe we make this an annual event.
Here are a few of my pictures. I do not know the designations so have at it.

I have several pictures with descriptions on my Flickr account.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tahl007/

Brian
1973 712M Pinzgauer

Attachments

Last edited:

Cdub

I would like to put out a GREAT BIG THANK YOU to Mike for putting this all together......!!

It was a hellva good time had by all.........a special thanks to NewMVguy for letting me tag along in his deuce. I would also like to send out a special thanks to 86M10086.2 for the ride back and fourth to the GSP rest stop.

Looks like Scott has a cool new avatar......OUTSTANDING........!!

Enough with the chat..........check out the pic boys........

Attachments

vmax29

Looks like alot of fun! Did anyone get suprised by any of those holes?
Why yes I did. I lifted the back end of the doka traversing one of those fine swamp holes but gravity was kind to me and let me back down (power steering and a dose of diesel helped a lot). Thanks Turkey131 for some nice video of that fine moment. I think my front wheel found the spot where the plug is to drain the swamp though. Highlight of the day was watching the big deuces do a mud hole and empty it out when they hit bottom. it was like watching the tide come in in double time. Thanks to Mike for putting this together. it was nice to meet everyone.

Mike_Pop

I'm thinking the next trail ride will be over the Christmas/New Year's holidays.

mog1218 (Scott Griffith): You need to come out to the east coast and experience flat trail riding, not that mountainous stuff in Washington! Send me an email so we can catch up.

Mog1300L (Bob Benyon): MANY, MANY, MANY thanks for letting me drive your Mog. I sure do miss mine now.

NEWMVGUY (Scott Fleck): I saw that you had a little difficulty climbing the fire tower. But you made it to the top! That's more than what I am willing to do.

joec

nothing realy fancy just a good bombproof clean and neat strait frame chassis. it consists of 4x4 square tube and heavy duty small arch 14" ford leaf springs. i'll prolly make a thread about it when i have enough to post a handfull of pics

keep me informed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks