• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NLCUCV - No-Lift CUCV with HMMWV tires

readyman

Just another no-lift CUCV with HMMWV tires thread. :-D

Should be fine around town from the looks of the rubber travel stops on the suspension. I used the aluminum 2 piece adapters and wheel/tire assemblies from Rodney up in Wisconsin. Without trimming I could only drive in straight lines. But 3/4 inch off the (inside)front of the front wheel well and 1-1/2 inch off the rear side of the front wheel well did the trick. Remember to lengthen the steering stop bolt if you try this. Won't need the spare any more because these are run-flats but I'll try and find something lighter for the tire carrier anyway.

front.jpg8.jpgphoto.jpg

asg13

Getting ready to do this myself. Have 16.5s already on 33s. Looking forward to the speed increase and less rev

readyman

I just drove it around the block a few times and there is no vibration issue, the tire/wheel assemblies came with mil balance weights on 'em, for what that's worth. All I have to compare the ride to is my M1036 TOW HMMWV, the CUCV's ride is smoother, I might even air them down to 35psi since the CUCV is not that heavy. The M1009's gearing is pretty good as it is, I was worried about not having any 'get up and go' with the bigger diameter HMMWV tires, but everything drove just fine, it's still peppy.

PICT0053.jpg
On the rear front wheel wells I saw cut flush with the inner wheel well half way up. Then moved the flare back even with it at the bottom and matched it up at the top, welded(rivets work too) and bondo. You can just cut it out and leave it at that, and lose the flare. I'll fill all those gaps with something(?)

PICT0054.jpg
I used sheet metal shears to cut this 3/4 inch piece from the front, straight down with the inner edge, straight across. It's way low so you can't even see the notched sheet metal.

Last edited:

lostintexas

You have any more info on this "I used the aluminum 2 piece adapters and wheel/tire assemblies from Rodney up in Wisconsin"? Links, pics, whatever. I've been wanting to do this but didn't want to buy new wheels to get the 16.5"

Augi

Definitely still carry a spare.

Run flats get you out of dodge, but drive on them for more than a few miles and the tire shreds to the point where you can only go 5mph because the tread slaps the inside of the wheel well.

You'll get home if you are just tooling around the neighborhood, if that's what you are looking for.

I've driven on runflats about half a dozen times, so now I run MT/R tires instead of the MT's (still with runflats though) :)

Augi

readyman

The aluminum adapters are talked about in other threads in the forum, I bought mine so long ago I don't remember the source, Ebay I think. They change the bolt pattern to the HMMWV wheel pattern and space the wheels out for the right backspacing.
As far as the wheel/tire assemblies, I got them from Rodney in WI, Feltz Tire and Auto in Marshfield. They stuck them on a pallet and shipped to me in IL for about $500.

Augi

Feltz is the place all right. I bought a dozen MT/R's from him. I caught him in Texas while he was there picking out a large lot to send back to Wisconsin and he drop shipped them right to California for me.

Augi

danoscooter

readyman what thickness are the spacers you used? Did you use the same thickness for the front and back? I have read another thread mentioning 2" spacers but I just wanted to get verification from before I start buying parts.

Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks