• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No 5th gear

Hiddensun

Hello friends! I was driving home from moving into my new house. I came back unloaded thru the mountains and decided I would coast down the long steep grade rather than ride the trans down. Well I thought I was going slow enough to pop it back in to gear. Apparently I wasn't and it made a minor, I mean minute grind almost like shifting to fast between gears. It went in and I didn't think anything of it. Well I came to a stop light and couldn't get it out of 5th. So I eased into my neighborhood in 5th. While doing that it popped out and will not go back into 5th. The shifter feel like it goes in gear but when I let the clutch out it grinds really bad. All other gears are unaffected and drive fine just can't use 5th. Any help and directions to TM info is greatly appreciated.

Jeepsinker

I bet the teeth broke off of the 5th gear synchro hub. Mine did the same thing. The teeth get worn down over time until they have a very small cross section, then they just break off when you put a load on them. It is an easy fix. I did mine in three-four hours. No need to remove the transmission from the truck.

Hiddensun

Well the good news is that most of the large items are already moved into my new place. I will have to use my pick up to do the rest including my tools. For now it's parked. Once I get my tools moved over I will peek inside her. I really hope it's a simple fix. I don't want to have to buy a trans or have a shop have to do the work. Thanks for the input so far!

Jeepsinker

Biggest thing you need is a 1 and 1/4" socket to remove the mainshaft nut from the drive flange on the rear of the transmission. Other than that all you need is a 3/8" drive socket set and ratchet and a standard wrench set. Helps to have a long 3/8" drive extension too. And maybe a 1/4" drive socket and ratchet set to remove the floor pan. Two 3/4" wrenches to remove the jackshaft bolts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you rev the truck up(to speed up the transmission), before putting it into gear?

Coasting in neutral is a very bad habit.

Hiddensun

I got the cover off today, shift forks look fine. The teeth on 3 of the gears look pretty chewed up. I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at as far as functionality. The largest gear is chewed on both sides and the 2 smaller gears the it contacts below are slightly chewed too. Is it possible that the large gear popped off of the shift fork? I attached some photos. I hope they upload properly as I am using a mobile device.

Attachments

DieselBob

You might want to check out TM 9-2520-246-34-1. It is the transmission / transfer case TM. The large gear with chewed up teeth is the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] / reverse gear and is not synchronized so it leads a hard life.

Hiddensun

Well I think I located the synchro that jeepsinker was referring to. Located toward the front on the transmission. It looks as though both sides teeth are pretty well shaved down. Also can someone explain how to replace it with out dropping or dismantling the trans according to the TM. I'd rather not have a 14,000 lbs truck sitting in my driveway unmoveable for longer than necessary or worse not being able to get it back together. Again I uploaded photos on mobile.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that trans has had a LOT of abuse. that poor thing is just destroyed! chances of it being fixed without taking it out are zero. you should look for a good take out, but have someone who knows these trans look at it before you buy. where are you?

barefootin

I'll echo the previous few posts... Find a "good" used trans...

Looking at it from another point of view.... It shows the abuse that these vehicles can take and still keep moving.... 5th gear was the only one not functioning prompting the OP to investigate... That is pretty impressive!

Hiddensun

Not the news I wanted to here but at least it's not stranded somewhere.

I see eastern surplus has a rebuilt transmission for just under $2000 and some other places with used ones for about $700. If I'm replacing the transmission what other items should I replace while I'm in there?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
and rear main seal!

you can get new for $2000! used should be around $400-$500 after inspection. never buy used without pulling the top cover and knowing what to look for. i sell new with OD kit installed for $3000.