• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No air...

My Deuce variant has been down a while for repairs. I've replaced the oil lines to the fuel injector pump and I've replaced the master brake cylinder. I have the master brake cylinder pretty much bled out, now its off to the wheel cylinders.

The problem I'm experiencing now is the buzzer won't shut off, and my dash PSI gauge is showing slightly over 30 PSI. I installed a Air-O-Matic power steering unit about 9 years ago and have had no issues with it. I've chased everything back from the compressor that I can think of and haven't found any air leaks. The compressor appears to be working correctly, and there's no strange sounds coming from it.

The PSI on the gauge doesn't fluctuate with RPM, its stays constant at about 33 PSI.

Help please... I'm over here scratching a couple of things trying to figure out what my next step is...

Thanks everyone!!!

Chris...

rustystud

My Deuce variant has been down a while for repairs. I've replaced the oil lines to the fuel injector pump and I've replaced the master brake cylinder. I have the master brake cylinder pretty much bled out, now its off to the wheel cylinders.

The problem I'm experiencing now is the buzzer won't shut off, and my dash PSI gauge is showing slightly over 30 PSI. I installed a Air-O-Matic power steering unit about 9 years ago and have had no issues with it. I've chased everything back from the compressor that I can think of and haven't found any air leaks. The compressor appears to be working correctly, and there's no strange sounds coming from it.

The PSI on the gauge doesn't fluctuate with RPM, its stays constant at about 33 PSI.

Help please... I'm over here scratching a couple of things trying to figure out what my next step is...

Thanks everyone!!!

Chris...
Check the air Governor on the firewall. If it has malfunctioned then you will not get any air to build up. If it needs work then just replace it. Their really cheap, just $20.00 at most truck supply stores or online.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Thank you!!! Is that the thing all the air lines go into at the top center of the firewall???
I would recommend that you get the 20 and the 34-Ps (parts tms) for your truck, they WILL really help you finding where parts are.

The King Machine

My Air O Matic was bypassing air out of the exhaust port. My truck would not build air past about 50 psi. I couldn't hear it while to truck was running.

To get it to stop I would cut the air supply to the Air O Matic let the truck build pressure to 120 then open the valve to charge the steering system. That snapped whatever was sticking open shut. It would only do this after sitting for long periods.

I have since deleted my Air O Matic because the problems has gotten really bad to the point on right turns it will just vent the whole tank of air out the exhaust port.

The above mentioned could be the problem too.

The King Machine

It's most likely the air governor like rusty and the other fellas said.

The drag link component of the AIR O MATIC should have a line exiting from it that's roughly 1 inch dia. Coiled wire and fabric hose. It will hiss when you reach full lock when turning. Mine was bypassing just enough air to negate the compressors output. Because of the diameter of the hose there was very little velocity and it was difficult to hear it leaking even with the truck off.
The truck simply would not build air. Hold your hand over the end of the hose while the truck is running, if its bleeding air without you moving the wheel.......then that could be the problem. I oiled it with the magic mystery oil like recommended here and it work fine for about a year, now it just hisses air again to the point its a safety concern so I disconnected it.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder about the probability of moisture getting into the steering assembly and causing something to corrode and/or stick while sitting for long periods of time.

Might be worth an upgrade to install an air dryer, as well as an extra air tank or two.

Hopefully it's just the governor; easy fix if so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks