• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no blinkers or hazzards! i'm going nuts!!!

wilsonmotors

i just bought my '67 m35a2 and have no blinkers. i have replaced the turn switch and the headlight switch both were broke. i also ordered a flsasher never know i figured. i still dont have blinkers after replacing all three pices i am about to go nuts trying to figure this out. i have noticed that the po put new light housings in the front and my park lights work but only in the park postion. the light on the turn switch comes on and stays on when you turn the blinkers on. does anyone have any ideas or help im not good with electrial at all. maby someone near me could show me or give me a hand as i tend to break more in the electrial dept. then i fix.

wilsonmotors

i also just noticed that if i turn my blinker on i lose the tail and stop light on that side and if i turn the 4 way flasher on i lose both tail and stop lights

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad grounds. Both bolts are used as separate grounds(park and brake/signal).

Use capitalization, it's in the rules.

eagle4g63

As covered MANY times.....front running lights(you are calling park lights) WILL ONLY LIGHT in the PARK SETTING. They do NOT come on when the head lights are on. Also if you are not using the switch right you won't have blinkers either(don't use ANY of the "BO" settings for regular driving)

After that you need to go around and check out your grounds like doghead said......90% of the time it is a bad ground.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh yeah, I should have said, RTFM, first. Then check your grounds.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical

I battled through some electrical challenges and it turns out that unless someone is standing beside you, you're on your own. The local builders usually say, "It's just electrical", or "If it's rubber, replace it....If it's electrical, clean it".

Hope you find some local support but after going through the TM's for my M135 I found out how things worked....for now.

The schematic below might help. It got me through my rats nest of wiring.

Attachments

wilsonmotors

Ok sorry. I have been able to fix most things with my 09 with just searches, but this m35a2 is a whole nother ball game and got me bewildered. Yes i have brake lights but when i turn the blinkers on i lose the corresponding brake light. and i have cleaned and chacked all the grounds.

rrrr

OK, your flasher unit interupts the signal to the light to flash. When you put on the turn signal does the light on the turn signal unit come on ? If you are pressing the brake pedal and put the turn signal on does the brake light go out. I don't remember if light on the flasher off and the vehicle lights on or both on and off at same time? I suspect your flasher is bad. Its a very easy change.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, I've blown a brand new flasher unit just by turning on my signal light(instantly). My truck had a dead short in the light wiring and there is no protection built into the flasher units.

197thhhc

Just "checking " the grounds isn't enough. They need to be taken apart and cleaned. The one that goes to the flasher unit mount is a problem a lot of the time. And DH is correct about the flasher, you can wipe them out as soon as you power them up. Good luck , keep us posted.

wilsonmotors

I cleaned all grounds and took all cannon plugs apart and cleaned them all. I got all my parts form boyce equipment. Ok lets say I turn on my left blinker and hit my brakes, then i have no left tail or brake light the rear light to the side the blinker is turned on to just goes dead. If I turn the flasher on then I lose both tail lights. I was not aware that i could blow the flasher so easy. But when I turn the blinker on the light on the turn signal handle comes on and stays on but nothing else works at all.

SteveKuhn

"...I was not aware that i could blow the flasher so easy..."

You can blow anything easily with a dead short. A prior owner had installed marker lights on the bed, a wire shorted, and took out the 3 way switch and turn signal switch. I was lucky my flasher didn't go because it was brand new.

While you're going through all this stuff, look for little wee (or great big) black carbon splashes around sockets, connections and grounds. Could be a hint.

And don't believe a bulb filament just because it looks like it's intact.

Steve

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have suggested poor grounds also, especially at the turn switch.

Another possibility in your case given the history you mention is that there may be some incorrect bulbs installed, or the lamp wire connections are crossed. The turn switch wiring may also be incorrect. These errors can produce the type of issues you are experiencing.

Sorry to throw another guess at you, but I recommend you print out a copy of the wiring schematic (with the bulb call out chart) and confirm all is as it should be. From there you can trace current signals back to the switches and flasher.

Rick

eagle4g63

Did you check the switch mount to the steering column.......I repainted my interior and then no turn signals, like you said, the light on the switch just stayed on solid. The clamp that goes around the column NEEDS TO TOUCH BARE METAL, loosen the clamp and clean off a spot for it to touch, or you could also run a ground wire from the clamp and screw it to the body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks