• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Brake Lights on M1009

jcurcio39

I have a 1984 M1009 that has no brake lights. It has power to the switch and and all other functions are working such as turn signals and flashers. I checked the bulbs and even the black out light switch all are good. I'm at a loss as to where to go next and wonder if any one else has had a similar experience....:?

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
brake lights

I ve had this issue on a couple o Chevy's...... check your
e -flasher sw as well as your turn signal sw .......popacom2cents

p.s. also test light all light fuses........crazy as it sounds.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the brake light switch on the brake pedal working? You said you checked the switch. You have power going in but is it coming out?

Last edited:

jcurcio39

The brake light switch on the pedal is working and I changed the e flasher relay still no brake lights. I'm thinking now the problem is in the column somewhere...aua

desertdog

I'm having the same problem with my 85 m1009. If you fixed it please let me know how. I replaced the brake switch and bulbs, checked all fuses and wires still nothing thanks.

jcurcio39

I replaced the turn signal switch in the column. Part number from Autozone is SW324. It shouldn't cost more than 40 bucks, but you're going to have to remove the steering wheel to replace it so be prepared for that. But that solved the issue with mine

top_prop

if its your running lights... there is a 5a fuse for that on my m1009... so the running lights don't work but the flashers and breaks will illuminate... if it's just the brakes that don't work but your flashers do, I'd double check the break switch and both the flasher/hazard relays (try turning the hazards on too) before I tore the steering column apart to replace the turn signal switch.

my .02 usd

desertdog

It was the turn switch. I thought it was the f/h relay too top_prop but no. The switch was $26 and i needed a steering wheel puller $18.
THANK YOU jcurcio39.:beer:

Dozer11B

It was the turn switch. I thought it was the f/h relay too top_prop but no. The switch was $26 and i needed a steering wheel puller $18.
THANK YOU jcurcio39.:beer:

Was the turn signal switch for me too. I had to use a steering wheel puller along with the steering lock plate removal tool. Rented both from Autozone and got my brake lights working again after a guy pulled up next to me at a red light and told me he saw my blinkers, but no brake lights...

I cut the wiring for the old turn signal switch and pulled it all out. I pushed the connector end through the steering column and the channel for the wiring with a long flat head screwdriver and then a piece of coat hanger when I ran out of screwdriver. Pulled the connector through with a pair of angled needle nose pliers.

G2G.

Thanks guys.

turnertmb91

M1009 cucv 85k5 blazer, I have no brake lights, turn signals or hazard lights. I have drive lights, parking lights, tail lights, back up lights. Replaced all the fuses, relays, bulbs and brake light switch. What am I overlooking?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1009 cucv 85k5 blazer, I have no brake lights, turn signals or hazard lights. I have drive lights, parking lights, tail lights, back up lights. Replaced all the fuses, relays, bulbs and brake light switch. What am I overlooking?
Start checking for power going into and out of the turn signal control in the steering collumn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks