• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No brake Lights - where to start

TroyHog

First of all I would like to thank everyone here who offers great advice. You guys have helped me out numerous times and it is greatly appreciated. As I have said before I am just an old farmer who uses my M923A1 around the ranch but I do keep it tagged because I have to get it out on the highway to access another farm we have. Don't get me wrong - sometimes I drive it just to drive it! ha. In Missouri I have to have this truck inspected every other year to keep tags current and last night after welding some corner posts up I noticed that I didn't have any brake lights but did have both turn signals. Usually (in the farmer world) if you have turn signals you have break lights so I figured I would ask where to start trouble shooting. On the light switch there was a stop/break position that yielded no lights at all, and I wasn't sure about that either. I had the switch on service lights.

Thanks

mdemars03

If your other lights work I would check the brake light switch. It is a pressure operated diaphragm type switch that actuates when you press the brake pedal. I believe it is on the driver's side frame rail kind of near the fuel tank. It is a small round part that is plumbed into an air line and has 2 wires coming out of it. Get a meter and have someone press the brake pedal while you watch for a change in voltage. If no voltage change most likely a bad switch. Also they can be removed and cleaned if you have dirty contacts inside. If you do try to open it up and clean it just be careful not to damage the diaphragm inside or else you will definitly need a new switch even if that isn't the problem.

Last edited:

TroyHog

Is this the brake light switch?

Guys - still trying to figure out why my brake lights will not work after I hooked up a trailer. Could be coincidence I guess. I can not find anything likely candidates except for this one. It is on the left frame rail about half way back. Can you guys confirm/deny this for me? Thanks.brakelightswitchIMG_4237.jpg

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, that is the brake light switch. To test, unplug both wires and connect them with a jumper, then turn the 3 lever switch on the dash to the Stop Light position. If you have brake lights with the wires jumped, then your switch is bad.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Guys - still trying to figure out why my brake lights will not work after I hooked up a trailer. Could be coincidence I guess. I can not find anything likely candidates except for this one. It is on the left frame rail about half way back. Can you guys confirm/deny this for me? Thanks.View attachment 654210
You may have a short on the trailer and it popped one of the breakers up on the firewall

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Can you guys tell me where I can get a brake light switch? Thanks!!
You can try a surplus supplier. If its on a 939 truck you can use Napa BE13250 and crimp on eyelits in place of the military connectors.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you guys tell me where I can get a brake light switch? Thanks!!
Most any of the vendors that advertise on this site ,e-pay , napa.
Google the part number from the parts TM and it should give you several options.
Not knowing which model 5 ton that's close as I can get .

Googling " brake light switch for M??? " should get you some results (fill in your M series number in place of the question marks)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks