• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

!!NO Brakes!! Lost the brakes on the 818 today!! Need brake lines!!

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

The bad news. Today the right front rubber brake line blew where it is held in place by a metal clip and a spring.

The good news. The truck was idling in the back yard with the parking brake on. Started the truck, and once I had good air pressure I pumped the brakes once. Pedal went down halfway with good pressure, then went straight to the floor.

The really bad news. I need the truck back on the road by Wednesday morning, because I have to pick up my M749 trailer from GL in Drexel Gardens in Indianapolis.

So, is there an actual part number for this line, or do I just need to take it into NAPA and see if they have a replacement.

Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
this brings up a good point, we all need to check our rubber brake lines, some will be 20 years old, when i used the 819 to recover BFRs first truck, i had the rear hose start to leak, i pinched it off and finished the recovery, ordered all 5 hoses, apon changing out the front ones, both wheel cylinder hoses had major ware and both rear hoses had bad cracks, if you change one hose, change them all

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

Brakes

Thanks. I just ordered the brake line from OD Iron and am having it shipped next day air. It was a good excuse to get filters for the deuce and some new headlights and turn signals. Hopefully the line gets here Tuesday, so I can head down to Indy on Wednesday. I am going to try to wrap some kind of tape around the line where the clip holds it to hopefully prevent it from wearing down again.

Now I need to figure out what to do with the trailer when i get it home.

Wolf.Dose

The failed brake hose should be a standard 1/2 inch brake hose, a mass production part and be available in any truck shop from the big drum. Just get your size cut from the drum and fix it with new clamps. That should solve your problem.
Wolf

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

It's been a while.

I replaced the line with one from OD Iron about 4 months ago and have been meaning to post pics of the M818 and the M749 trailer. When I got to Indy to pick it up someone had stolen the spare tire and the crank for the landing gear. Fortunately the GL guy stole me the crank from a trailer that hadn't been listed yet. The trailer has some rust and is pretty much empty. Actually I did find a little packet of grape jelly on one of the shelves. I finally opened up the left side about 2 weeks ago and surprise, surprise, there was nothing good.

Oh, I still have no use for the trailer other than making the 818 accelerate slower. At least it didn't affect top speed.:smile:

Now I need to post the pics and videos of my M35 in the local mud bug from June or July.

Attachments