• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No brakes

signs1919

i lost my brakes the other day. all of a sudden no petal. luckly i was in an area where i could pull over. i nursed it back home. no brake lines are broke and i don't really see brake fluid anywhere like around wheels or master cylinder. i haven't checked the fluid level yet cause it's really cold out right now. just wondering if anybody had sudden brake loss and where to start looking. could it be a wheel cylinder? if so i guess i should change them all. thanks for any help

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i lost my brakes the other day. all of a sudden no petal. luckly i was in an area where i could pull over. i nursed it back home. no brake lines are broke and i don't really see brake fluid anywhere like around wheels or master cylinder. i haven't checked the fluid level yet cause it's really cold out right now. just wondering if anybody had sudden brake loss and where to start looking. could it be a wheel cylinder? if so i guess i should change them all. thanks for any help
NOW think going 70 when this happened, and this has happened BEFORE

dozer1

It could be just about anything. Have you ever checked the level of brake fluid? That's a good place to start. Ofcourse doing a search on SS and reading in the TM'S would also be a good idea. There is countless brake failure threads on SS. Good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The fluid has to go somewhere, might as well plan on pulling all your wheel cyls and honing them. Then put it rebuild kits. After that, work your way back to the master cyl.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How often do you inspect your brake fluid level?

Have you ever done a complete brake system inspection and overhaul?

How long have you had the truck?

Are you mechanically inclined?

signs1919

i've had the truck about two weeks. was told all fluids were checked. i work on ten wheel cement and dumps daily. just wondering about that hydro vac system, i know it;s old and so is the truck 1968 kaiser. guess i'll get her inside and start to tear her down.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fluids should be checked daily , these are single circut brake system any leak and all breaks go out.It's not a hydro-vac system , there is no vaccum . it is a air assist system where air presure builds the pressure . Just like commercial trucks these 40 + year old trucks need a daily pre-trip inspection .

Edit; The military uses D.O.T. 5 brake fluid

Last edited:

ctmustang

Anytime you get an mv it should be a good practice to take them home and basically tear them apart and check and recheck everything especially the brakes. You've probably heard this one before-NEVER TAKE ANYBODY ELSES WORD FOR IT-ESPECIALLY WITH 13,000 LBS OF ROLLING GREEN METAL. The master cylinder can be bad and not be leaking a drop.
CT:deadhorse:

RodUSMC1962

This is why I dont think its a good idea driving these old trucks so fast with the brake system on them.
If your brakes go all you can do is hopefully have time to gear down and use your hand brake,and look for a safe place to get:deadhorse: off the road.

Heavysteven

I made of video's on YouTube regarding the brakes.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RazeaTyiIFU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyQ7pZPiqnI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q74Hkk0m4g&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]

rlwm211

First thing is to do as suggested. Check the master cylinder. You will need a 3/8 and 3/4 wrenches. There is a breather line that connects to the center of the plug for the master. You will want to ask the previous owner and see which brake fluid they were using. Most Military vehicles use DOT5 which is silicone brake fluid. It is not compatible with any other brake fluid.

No matter what you find in the master your next step is to look under the truck at the backs of the wheels looking for a trail of brake fluid running down rfrom the backing plate and brake drum.

There are three components in the entire system.

A single circuit Master Cylinder. This means there is only one hydrailic circuit for the whole truck. There are variants to this and knowing the model number and year of (re-)manufacture of your truck would allow someone to identify the system you have.

An Air/Hydraulic brake booster. This device powered by compressed air increases the brake pressure from the master from 4-500 PSI to 1800-2000 PSI.

Lastly, you have 6 wheel cyinders. All Identical as well as all the brake shoes, drums, and hardware on each 'wheel'.

None of the systems on a deuce are overly complex but the parts can be pretty heavy and safety is very important when you are working under the truck and have wheels off.

Bring back some information and you will get plenty of advice. I know a member of NY-PENN Military Vehicle Collectors CLub who lives very near you in Rouses Point and if you need guidance I am pretty sure he would be happy to help you.

RL

quickfarms

Dot 3 and dot 4 are comparable with each other but dot 5 is not. It is best to check the system to find out what is in the master cylinder and the wheel cylinders before you add fluid. Mixing the different types will make a mess and require a lot of work to fix.

onegmjack

Alway do a walk around,check the inside wheels and tires for fluild leaks.You could have oil leaking from axle or brake fluid leaking from wheel cylinder or brake hose or metal line.I always check mine any time I am around my truck just to be on the safe side.All ways before I take it for a drive.

signs1919

why does everyone refer to this system as a hydro vac then. i know there is no vacum. please explain why it's refered to as a hydrovac. thanks

panshark

what kind of work do you do on 10-wheelers?

I disagree with Rod, if my brakes go when I've got the duece up to top speed I'm not touching the parking brake. I honestly don't think it would assist me. I would downshift to 4th, drop the T-case to low, and depending on traffic/pedestrian conditions I would start looking for emergency routes to avoid loss of life. Better to run smack into a tree and risk killing yourself than risk killing other people. Also better to use a thick tree or a deep ditch as a crumple zone than to use the crumple zone of the Kia or Hyundai in front of you.

Are there more steps that I would take if my brakes went out? Sure, but what you do in the first five seconds of an emergency situation have a domino effect that ultimately determines whether everyone can sleep at home that night.

If I had to move a duece without brakes, I would be in low range, and never get out of the first 3 gears. I probably wouldn't shift out of 1st.

Signs--a lot of guys here get bent out of shape regarding a cavalier attitude towards maintenance and inspection. Please don't drive your truck on the road without any brakes to get to the garage you're intending to do your tear-down at. It sounds silly to even mention it, but some people are born stupid enough to think that brakes are optional for an on-road vehicle.