• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no breaks!!

rebel5909

for the past few months my breaks on the deuce have felt funny but it still stoped well yesterday i had to slam on them and it went stait to the floor but finely stop. after that i had none i can pump them three time with ease and it goes strait to the floor but on the forth time the pedal is hard as a rock but i have no power breaks??? i know its getting air because i can hear it blow off when i release them. the break fluid is full but is milky brown like its mixed with water! i plan to flush the system with fresh fluid but any idea what else it could be???

dittle

If you have water in the system you master cylinder and/or air pack can be messed up as due to the moisture in them. Its also spelled brakes not breaks.

Kohburn

if the fluid looks that bad you need to at the least do a tear down and inspect every major component, every wheel cylinder etc.

if they all check out then flush fresh fluids. but chances are you will find items needing rebuilds and replacement.

from other past threads the pumping breaks till you get a rock hard pedal generally means the airpac has issues.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a little late, but for others - the time to check for problems is when you very first notice something seems, wrong, different, not like it used to be, etc. Waiting until total failure can be very, very bad.

As others have said it sounds like the brakes need a major inspection/repair. Flush with fresh fluid, check everything and repair everything that needs it. Simple system, just a lot of work.

Marlboro

When its time to flush denatured alchol works great... And not near as expensive as DOT 5.
Worked Great after rebuilding my brake system.

rlwm211

air pack is done

In the deuce, Your master cylinder produces about 500 psi of brake pressure. The air pack increases that to nearly 2000 psi. If your pedal goes to the floor and then pumps up, I would believe that the master is pressurizing the brake system but it needs several pumps to fill all the components in the air pack before actually getting the pedal to take up pressure. The airpack is not functioning as you have deduced.

I would suggest rebuilding the air pac and also the master cylinder. The kits are generally available online (ebay) and in Steel Soldiers classifieds. You need to identify your air pac as to whether it is the old style or new. The new style has a long cast boss that extends from the back of the air cylinder to the mount. The old style the rear mount is right into the back of the cylinder. The rebuild kits are readily available for the old style air packs, but I have not seen any for the new style. The master cylinder rebuild kits are easy to find.

The foaming is probably mixing of oil/air from the air side in the air pack and the brake fluid which would be indicative of a failure of the actuator/compensator valve seals. The airpack needs to be disassembled and properly cleaned and then rebuilt as per the tm.

It is dangerous to drive any vehicle with brakes that are not in good operating condition. Operating a 14000 vehicle with any brake issue is foolish as you are far more out of control that you know. People's lives and your economic freedom depend on your truck operating properly.

Be sure to flush the brake lines as a part of this repair. If you elect to use DOT5, flush them with alcohol or some other compatible liquid with a pressure setup and then bleed the system with DOT5. If you decide to convert to DOT3 or DOT4 you can afford to use that type of brake fluid for a flush.

RL

Last edited:

Heavysteven

I agree with the post above, you need to inspect all components rebuild and replace. This is not going to be cheap by the way. Also, build a power bleeder to flush with DOT 5. Please don't drive the truck with no brakes you'll make the evening news. Then I will get calls and emails all day about how dangerous my deuce is.

I have been in the "no brakes club" before. However, it was by my own choice because I replaced the brake lines and flushed the system. Take your time and do the repair right. When I hit my brake pedal I know it going to work because it's been maintained.

New DOT 5 is purple and even old DOT 5 is golden.

Last edited:
New DOT 5 is purple and even old DOT 5 is golden.

Hmmm, about old, I noticed that the fluid turns yellow / golden quite fast. I flushed and refilled my brake system with new mil DOT5 after a complete change of the MBC and airpak and several brake lines with new units. After just two months or so, the color of the fluid already changed.

Too bad they don't sell mil DOT5 here in gallons anymore. You only get the little quart bottles, for around 20 bucks a piece :shock: . Now, when I bleed the brakes, I have two jars, one for the cruddy head of the fluid that comes out of the bleed valve and one for the cleaner rest, so I can reuse the stuff after filtering it.

Cheers,
Mark

rlwm211

Last time I bled the deuce I did exactly Roger-Wilco advised and it worked well. I was chasing the Phantom air buibble and got it. The other nice feature of that way of bleeding the brakes is that you can do it entirely by yourself. No Soldier B required.

RL

rebel5909

ok i got the denatured alchol yesterday i plan to flush it after this rain is over then i plan to bleed it with dot 5 thanks for all the information guys i will let you know how it works out im hopeing my componets are fine but i will check them over and dont worrie its parked til fixed i wont drive it with no brakes!

rebel5909

I flushed my system with denatured alcohol then bleed with brake fluid all the componets checked out ok! the truck is back up and running great and im back to making money with her! Thanks for all the help!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks