• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No CCKW left behind

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around Nov of 2010 I made a post here about "Jimmy save or not" or something like that. Well it took me a while (1.5 yrs?) but today I went and got her. She is a '42 Banjo cargo long wb, s/n 96917. Terrible condition. Of note is my trailer winch set up. It is one of those MRAP Warn 18,000 lb 24 volt winches. As you can see, I used a snatch block, but the winch bogged down severely. I see why the guys in Afganistan hate them. Granted, 2 of the duals and one front wheel would not spin, but I would have though 36,000 of pull would have jerked that truck on the trailer like nothing. As usual, the M915A1 line haul tractor did not miss a beat.

Attachments

Vulture

Around Nov of 2010 I made a post here about "Jimmy save or not" or something like that. Well it took me a while (1.5 yrs?) but today I went and got her. She is a '42 Banjo cargo long wb, s/n 96917. Terrible condition. Of note is my trailer winch set up. It is one of those MRAP Warn 18,000 lb 24 volt winches. As you can see, I used a snatch block, but the winch bogged down severely. I see why the guys in Afganistan hate them. Granted, 2 of the duals and one front wheel would not spin, but I would have though 36,000 of pull would have jerked that truck on the trailer like nothing. As usual, the M915A1 line haul tractor did not miss a beat.
Best of luck with the restoration, you look to have quite a challenge ahead of you. Please post some more photos when you have a chance :)

68427vette

good save,, yes, lots of good parts,, and a good builder if you decide to go that route,, ps they arent making them anymore, and wwii stuff is getting harder to find!! jc

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us more about the winch on the trailer.
How is it powered?
What is its capacity?
Was it hard to mount?
Google "Warn series 18". They are all over ebay. A good price is a grand. I attached a NATO slave receptacle to it and use the slave cable to power it from the truck's slave receptacle.

It is 18,000 lbs on an empty drum. Has 1/2" cable.

I welded a piece of heavy C-channel between the trailer frame channels and the winch is bolted on top.

It is no subsititute for a headache rack and 80,000 Braden PTO winch behind the truck cab, which is what I really wan eventually.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That doesn't look like a drive axle under the front is it? You could have an early GMC 5 ton there if the front axle is I-beam not a banjo and thats whats on the rear, they didn't use mixed axles that I know if, (timken splits and banjo's) I've got one of the 5 tonner's working it up now. Need any parts, I may be able to help, I've got some stuff I'm looking to be rid of, axle shafts, drive shafts, some other stuff, even a couple of original packages voltage regulators. The axle shafts were wrapped in burlap with new tags on them before the guy I got them from let the roof rot off his storage building, now there's burlap and parts of the tags on them along with surface rust. Even have a pair of DUKW wheels with that stuff.
Good luck with your prize though.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
check up under the dash on the tunnel at the fire wall, mine was thought to be a "deuce" too right up till I found the tag there and showed the farmer I got it from that it was a 1942 5 ton 6X4 cargo built by Yellow Truck and Bus Div. GMC. Frank VonRosenstiel in Canada has new nomenclature plates for it, he used my original to make them up. Really nice work too. I use one of his on my truck and keep the original in the glove box (just to see it doen't walk off.)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the heads up Capt Pat, she is for sure a ccKw, the banjo front axle is all there. My plans for the truck are this: Disassemble, sandblast and prime the usable parts, and scrap those that are not. Then palletize the parts and put in long term indoor storage. The frame will go against the shop wall.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks