• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Deuce in-my FUTURE

kenpugh1

Some history since I was in the ARMY in 1964 ~ 67 drove a M38A1 & M37 in 1964 and 1965-66 drove M60A1 Tank. All were not comfortable since I am 6'8" tall and then about 240 pounds.
Last years I was on a mission to find a M-37 and did find a nice one but 40+ years later it did not fit waist line. After many months I stared to read about M35A3's smaller steering wheels, auto's and PS. So I started to search for a possible M35A3. Just last month I found STEEL SOLDIERS and became even more excited about owning a M35A3.
This past Friday my understanding wife and I went to Memphis Equipment to checkout a M35A3. The results truck is too small for me to drive.
This unexpected event destroyed my plans for retirement years and having a differant type of TOY . I enjoy seeing these old MV's on the road. Keep them Rolling

AceHigh

Did you turn the seat down to the lowest level? That gives you a few inches. Also some guys have shortened the steering column. Big plus.

Anyway, best to you, hope you can join us very broke folks. :driver:

blackrock

Im 6'6 315LB. when i drove mine for the first time it was a 9hr haul. It was very tight. I bobbed mine and put full hydro steering with a small wheel, fit perfect now.

gunboy1656

Man, your giving up too easy. Take out some of the seat cushion, take a seat out of another vehicle. Along with the above mentioned suggestions and you will be fine. Since it will be a retirement toy you will have plenty of time to figure it out. Now get cracking.

treeguy

I'm a regular sized guy and still had to slice (removed covering and shaved off 1" of thickness) half of the padding off from the seat back. It pushed ya too far forward and it had a wierd forward angle. The crew cab idea is the way to go so you can move an after market seat back. But of course a large project like that is quite a bit of work and costly. Don't give up the search or ideas, hopefully you'll find something that works for you.

emr

YO!!! A ...M 939 series has a bigger cab a spring seat and are going to auction now, i heard of some crazy good prices too, U need just need to think a little bigger :) good Luck!!!!!!!1

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought an A2 without ever previewing and had only driven a Deuce about 5 miles when I was younger and a lot smaller.

I did NOT fit behind the wheel, hence my term Fat Dampened Steering (FDS). I still drove it home 350 miles and it took days to get the smile off my face.

I lost weight and it is not loose but it doesn't cut off my breathing either.

Don't give up.

hughscpa

I'm 6-6 and weighing in at almost 245. My only problem has been the wiper motors and the top of the windshield frame getting in the way. But who needs to see the whole road anyway? Where there is a will there is a way.[thumbzup]

kenpugh1

Thanks for all the words of"encouragement, I never considered shorten the steering wheel great idea. More details 6' 8" tall, 330 pounds and size 17 shoe no small person behind the drivers seat. For 35+ years I worked in a factory but logged over 35,000 miles per year. so I do not want a hard flat cushion on a steel frame. I would prefer some type of air ride seat. If you know of a m35A3 that has an improved seat close to NE Mississippi let me know.

I will start to search for a M939 I do not have a CDL but should be able to pass test.

Thanks

quickfarms

Air ride seat bases come in several different heights.

There are low profile ones that have 3" of travel and are about 3" tall. they are made for the medium duty trucks.

Yau might end up with the back seat vertical and very close to the back of the cab.

Try to find a parts trck that does not have a seat in int and see if you can fit with your but 6" off of the floor and your back 4" from the back of the cab.

This would approximate a medium duty seat in the truck

treeguy

From what I'm reading, if you'll excuse me, it sounds like you are looking for a ready made truck that has everything you want/need right out of the box. Most guys here will buy the trucks that they have drooled about for years then tweek them to their liking/fit. If you find your dream truck, go for it and like the others here suggested, modify it with pieces and parts. You'll probably be doing this until time stands still, I know that I'm well on my way. For give me for my ignorance, just trying to help. If its the seat or leg room that is holding up the deal don't sweat it, these are all things that can be altered. Happy hunting.

kenpugh1

We have rebuilt a 1955 Ford Fairlane many years ago and in the 1980's a 1955 Ford F-100 all put back stock. At this point in my life I did want to find the perfect truck out of the box.