• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Electrical When Ignition Switch is On

Somemedic

Was driving 5 he other day when I went to honk the horn and noticed the horn wasn't working. I saw the ignition switch was on but looked at the guages and saw the volt meter was dead... All guages were off... no horn or turn signals.

It was like the switch was off. So now the truck will no longer start. There is no electricity when the switch is on.

Batts are good.... can't find any fuses.

Reaper651

The troubleshooting TM's and a volt meter will be your two best friends at this point. It sounds like the master switch is probably bad. I have been diagnosing the same issues with my Deuce.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Batteries are ok, you say, so I would start with checking the battery cables, the ground strap to the frame and work my way forward from there. It could be a bad accessory switch ("master switch").
The TM has great step-by-step troubleshooting sections.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Check and make sure the master solenoid is working, the ONLY thing the master switch does is activate the master solenoid.

Reaper651

Check and make sure the master solenoid is working, the ONLY thing the master switch does is activate the master solenoid.
The master solenoid?? Ok now you have me wondering how I missed this in the troubleshooting TM, and how I haven't found it on my truck. Oh great now I have something else to figure out.aua Thanks for the info. Now I have some more TM reading to do.[thumbzup]

Somemedic

Yeah... I've heard of in line fuses making it into some of the wiring. Thankfully there doesn't appear to be any other than a lighter plug that's installed.

Where's the solenoid? On top of the starter?

As for the ground, it appears to be secure.

I'm liking the bad switch theory. That is the part that gets actuated the most, high probability of failing.

I will report back when I find it. Thanks for the suggestions.

steelandcanvas

I haven't seen a Master Solenoid in the M35A2 schematics. Could that be a 5 Ton thing Ron? I don't think it's the Master Switch, the horn on a Deuce will work with that switch in the off position. I would start by looing at the connections on the starter relay and the magnetic start relay. Pay close attention to wire #14 and wire #10. By the way, there is one fuse on a Deuce, it's under a little cover on top of the fuel tank. Here is a schematic that might help you.

View attachment WIRING_SCHEMATIC.pdf

Last edited:

Reaper651

Ok so I'm not crazy. I don't think there is a "Master Solenoid" But I'm not totally sure. I have never found one on my truck and I am pretty sure no wires from the master switch run to any kind of relay or solenoid. If I remember correctly, one wire goes to the alternator to excite it and the other one goes to the in tank fuel pump and the gauges. But I still have a lot to learn about the Deuce so don't quote me.

R Racing

Had my power switch go bad in my m35a3 it wasca, odd thing. It worked until you hit a bump then the truck would turn off it drove me nuts til I found out it was the power switch .

Somemedic

Today the truck got my full attention. I replaced a few jive ass looking chop jobs and tightened the battery connections. I bumped the starter terminals and the starter began to engage... The 24 volts are there all that is needed is to ground the system.

There isn't however a magnetic starter relay. It was hacked out long before I got it.

Tried replacing the accessory switch with a new one but there's no change.

This isn't nearly as fun as it sounds. Bjorn I'm looking for you

randygk

I've had two intermittent electrical problems on the 1967 deuce that sound similar to yours. One was a wiring harness connector on the firewall near the steering column - had a loose crimp on one wire. Our later deuces didn't have these connectors. The other was a loose connector on the master switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks