• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Fuel, No Start, No Idea

NovacaineFix

Makes sense.

I was almost in your shoes, but different engine. Was starting to look at the IP before doing those steps. Luckily for me it worked out, spent time instead of cash, which I don't mind.

Hope yours is an easy or relatively easy fix.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my case, the truck was sitting for a long while.
The fuel filter was bone dry, filled up with fresh diesel, still nothing.
Sounds like the in tank pump is not working. You do not need to fill any canister by hand if the in tank pimp is working. This system is self bleeding so no need to crack injectors. Easy way to check in tank is pumping would be crack the bleeder between the secondary and final fuel filter. Should have 4 to 7 lbs. of fuel pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Just when I was coming to terms with having to open up the HH, you had to bring out the quill shaft! I am hoping that's OK as I can see it spinning and going up and down through the middle bolt.

Just to be clear when I go to pull the HH. The red tooth and the scored tooth are the same, right? On the Removing the HH sticky, it shows the red mark not right in the middle. There is a little arrow in the middle sort of obscured by the cutoff valve lever if I'm not mistaken.
There is lots of things that can go wrong, but not often. The other thing is called a "drive washer", its kinda like a mechanical fuse. It snaps before other more expensive things snap. I will PM my number so you can call if you run into problems.

On removing the HH, you line up the red/scored tooth in order to know the you are in the correct position on the quill shaft for the head to come out. There should BE NO PRYING to get it out. If you can't pull it out with your hand, move it forward or backward a bit.

What you are trying to do is line up a "washer" that has a recess in it. Once you are lined up it should come out easily.

coolnick73

What happens if I theoretically lose the "Jesus Clip" that attaches to the fuel control rod?

Also, how much slack do the injector lines have? Will I have to remove them from the injectors or just loosen the connecting linkages? I don't have red mark just the scored tooth.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine stop wedge can get stuck.
Are we talking about the same thing. Though you were talking about the small pin that is in the end of the fuel control assembly that controls the fuel collar.

OK you did say the fuel shut of cover. As I said before if there is fuel to the head and you remove the shut down cover and the fuel assembly is working correct and free you could start the truck without the shut down cover off. Yes it would be something to check if the fuel control assembly was working. That would be a easy fix and easy to spot with the cover off.

Last edited:

FarmerRob

Are we talking about the same thing. Though you were talking about the small pin that is in the end of the fuel control assembly that controls the fuel collar.

OK you did say the fuel shut of cover. As I said before if there is fuel to the head and you remove the shut down cover and the fuel assembly is working correct and free you could start the truck without the shut down cover on. Yes it would be something to check if the fuel control assembly was working. That would be a easy fix and easy to spot with the cover off.
Right! Now we're on the same page. I'm just making sure he checked all the simple stuff first before digging into the HH.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel Injection pump gremlins will definitely try your patience. coolnick73 your in good hands, the folks here will get ya through it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What happens if I theoretically lose the "Jesus Clip" that attaches to the fuel control rod?

Also, how much slack do the injector lines have? Will I have to remove them from the injectors or just loosen the connecting linkages? I don't have red mark just the scored tooth.
Don't loose it.
I have with two people not had to crack the injector lines at the injector to remove the Head. We just took off all vibration clips and I wrapped my belt around all loose injector lines and as I lifted up very carefully on all the lines Pete removed the head. If you are alone you might have to remove some lines. Just do not bend them in any way at the head or injector.
Yes sometimes no red just scribe. Check twice remove once.

PS don't work in the dirt/grass or you will loose something you need. Worse case spread out a big tarp well under the truck!

Last edited:

coolnick73

PS don't work in the dirt/grass or you will loose something you need. Worse case spread out a big tarp well under the truck!
I am working in dirt/grass and I only lost one bolt and had a close call before I got the bright idea to spread out some newspaper under the truck!

So when working solo (I'm an Army of One) you have to take the injector lines out I am guessing. In my case I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea, when I took my fuel cutoff out it was a bit gunky. Having the injector lines out will let me squirt them with come carb cleaner.

coolnick73

Success!, I got the HH off and low and behold the clip and button had fallen off. I gently touched the quill shaft gear and it didn't move, which I am guessing is a good thing. My three pronged clip and button look to be in good shape, but I am hesitant to reuse the same clip if it already came off once. Should I be getting a new clip? I was planning on putting in new o'rings.

Attachments

coolnick73

IMG_20150928_091411930.jpgAnother success. I got my new clip in from AMBAC and my new O rings from the oringstore.com and got everything back together. You can see my original clip (right) didn't look in bad shape, but I still put the fresh one in.
IMG_20150928_091531931_HDR.jpg
After a little installation,
IMG_20150928_115130877.jpg I got some smoke! I still have to safety wire my fuel cutoff back on but I think I got her going again. Thanks to everyone who helped and giving me the testicular fortitude to dig into the HH!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks