• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No fuel to filter at first

dunedigger

So I won a M1009 I'm still not sure what I'm doing with it. Just wanted to mention one of the issues of trying to start it. I had to install a radiator, fuses, glow plug card, air filter, starter relay, temp sensor, and fuel filter all missing from the truck when I got it but had all of that so no extra expense to see if it ran. The fuel filter had been missing for who knows how long. I cracked the bleeder valve and ran new batteries dead three times tring to prime fuel. I was pretty sure it was going to be the fuel pump, I couldn't get fuel to the pump at all, line was dry. I could hear fuel in the tank but not entirely sure how much because the gauge doesn't work. Put in 5 gallons of fresh diesel and still nothing. So I unhooked the fuel line from the pump and ran a hose right into a fuel can from the pump. Two times cranking for 8 sec and I had fuel. Hooked up the injector wire and it fired up and ran great. I was watching it run and fuel started pouring out of the main fuel line I unhooked. I hurried up and switched my line from the temp fuel can to the main line and fired it back up. Been running great. I'm assuming the return line when the engine was running pressurized the tank and forced fuel up to the front. I had seen some guys were doing this with compressed air at the fuel filler cap. Not asking any questions here, just saying what happend.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget your fuel filter mounting plate can leak air. Making it VERY difficult to start.

So, keep an eye out. If starting becomes difficult again, go through the same procedure you just did.

OH, I have installed a 6psi electric fuel pump up under the passenger side rail. There is ACTUALLY a spot between the two steel fuel lines where the factory put a piece of rubber fuel line. I cut that out and mounted the fuel pump there. I ran the power line to a spot on the fuse box that was live once the key was turned on. So if I need to bleed the system, open the bleed valve, turn on the key, wait fifteen to twenty second and fuel just spurts right out.

You can get them at Napa, but they are about sixty dollars. I understand that you can get one at other places cheaper.

dunedigger

It's been over a week now, still starts up and runs great. Never found anything wrong with the lines. Been driving it around the field for fun. Deciding if I'm going to finish putting it together and drive it or part it out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks