• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No glow plug control card

EO2NMCB

84 m1009 cranks fine, it is missing the glow plug control card and will not start. I thought I might get lucky with temp's in the mid 90's that it might start with out the glow plugs. I will order a card this week from front line. Is there any chance that it will start with no control card? I did the checks per the TM at the card plug and all volts and ohms check good. It does have fuel at the lift pump, filter, fuel shut off, and injectors.

thanks again

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You can rig up a pushbutton switch to energize the glowplug relay on the fire wall, which will provide voltage to the glowplugs, but be careful with it, about 5-10 seconds should do it, then hit the starter, you can release the button as soon as it fires. Do a search for (glowplugs, Bypass) search all terms.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a sticky at the top of the CUCV forum detailing just this. Lots of good info in the stickies.

EO2NMCB

I read thru the stickies and faq's, but my understanding was that you had to have a semi working card to make a manual glow plug switch work?

mangus580

Re: RE: No glow plug control card

EO2NMCB said:
I read thru the stickies and faq's, but my understanding was that you had to have a semi working card to make a manual glow plug switch work?
Nope... Find the GP Relay/solenoid on the firewall (just to the left of the master cylinder)

Wire a momentary switch of some sort (toggle, push) to the blue wire on that relay, and then to ground. Basically making a connection to ground when the button is pushed.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Negative, open your hood and look at the relay mounted on the firewall on the drivers side. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to energize that relay for 5-10 seconds before engaging the starter.....and de-energize after motor starts.

This thread will self destruct in 5 seconds.......

;)

Crash_AF

The controller card is only needed if you want the Wait light on the dash to function properly... otherwise, a momentary switch to ground the solenoid will be enough until the card comes in.

Later,
Joe

EO2NMCB

Thanks for setting me straight, one last question which may be a dumb one. Will the engine start with out the glow plug sys working or is it the only way the engine will start?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: No glow plug control card

CCATLETT1984 said:
no, you need the glow plugs unless its 90+ outside. Its a design of the engine thing, a pain I know.
Maybe mines tired.......but, even if its over 90....it wont go until the wait light goes out....

Crash_AF

RE: Re: RE: No glow plug control card

If you want to hear it run, you can always use a little (just a LITTLE) snort of ether to get it started. That's how I got my parts truck started before I put the time into getting the GP system functional.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks