• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No GP Resistor on Oh9. Do I need it?

OL AG '89

Dave,

Can you explain your answer a little more?
The resistor is between firewall connection and gp relay.
How does slaving cut out this connection?
I'm looking in TM and don't see the circuit that would allow this.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The resistor on the firewall drops 24V to 12V to operate the glowplugs. Often times folks move the wire from the resistor to the 12V lug on the firewall. When slaving from another 24V vehicle, full current will not be available at that lug and the glowplugs don't cycle correctly.

SmokeyDod

I removed the resistor on firewall when I converted mine to the pushbutton manuel GP. I still have 24v starter. It don't affect using the slave cables at all if you leave your batteries hooked up like normal for 24v. It's been this way for 3 years and have not had any premature battery failure. I also have 9000 lb winch on front 12v which I pull cables off front battery and have not had any problem it that area.

mr.travo

What wire needs to be move to where to achieve the 12v conversion for the GP's? I am trying to search and find where it is explained how to do it. I just don't want to screw anything up.

mr.travo

Do you have a picture of the mod? Trying to get this straight in my brain. Also- do I need to disconnect anything as well? I will be doing this to both of my CUCV's.

txmytx_catahoula

Sorry, I don't have any pics handy. I found some somewhere on this site, just can't remember where. After removing the rack from the back seat of my m1009, I used the left over cable as a BIG power cable. The resistor is the only thing I removed and it doesn't need to be removed, just disconnected at both ends.

cpf240

Do you have a picture of the mod? Trying to get this straight in my brain. Also- do I need to disconnect anything as well? I will be doing this to both of my CUCV's.
It is covered in the FAQ.

You can either go from the front batt or from the 12v terminal block right next to the relay, which is what I did. Some use a fusible link for the connection. I will change mine once I buy some. In the meantime, I just reused the wire that went between the 24v buss and the resistor. I had to use an awl to enlarge the ring terminal slightly to fit over the 12v terminal post.

acesneights1

You can run to the lug(I did) or the front batt positive. The advantage to having the resistor is you are getting both batteries as a buffer. when you bypass the resistor the glows are drawing off only the front battery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks