• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No help needed with M109 Restore..

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much quieter do you think the 109 is with the insulation work done..? Did you use the peel and stick...?

How do you like the ride with the new tires..? Razer wants me to get away from the stock tires and go with BF Goodrich road tires, he says it's like riding on glass...smooth.

BTW, I have followed this thread and you have done a remarkable job....[thumbzup]

goldneagle

How much quieter do you think the 109 is with the insulation work done..? Did you use the peel and stick...?

How do you like the ride with the new tires..? Razer wants me to get away from the stock tires and go with BF Goodrich road tires, he says it's like riding on glass...smooth.

BTW, I have followed this thread and you have done a remarkable job....[thumbzup]
It's hard to tell how much quieter it is with the insulation. i use hearing protection when driving the truck. I installed the insulation to cut down on the heat coming from the engine during the trip.

It does seem to be cooler ( I don't feel that radiated heat coming from the floor as before)

The insulation in not the peal and stick. It was recommended by ZOUT. Its about 1/4" thick. I used spray glue "77" to attach the insulation as needed.

The ride is fine with the 11.00's. I don't really notice any difference except for the nice increase in speed. From 52 to 58mph at 2500 rpm.

Thank you for the compliment. It is much appreciated coming from you. My next project is to install the hard top I bought from Clintogf. My friend Allen is restoring it for me.

I must add that I got a great deal on the top from Clintogf and the condition was better than stated.

After the hard top I will use the funds from selling the M52A2 to have the truck repainted.

Here are some before pictures of the hard top I bought.

Attachments

goldneagle

I sent my hard top to my friend Allen's to have it restored properly. After a week of part time work he got the Top repaired and repainted. He assembled the top and back section using the 1/4" stainless steel bolts I got for the job. He used the rubber gasket and seam sealer to seal the joint.

Today i went to Home Depot and picked up 2 rolls of 5/16" aluminum bubble wrap insulation. 24" wide by 25 feet long. We ended up installing 3 layers of the insulation on the ceiling of the Top. Afterwards we reinstalled the metal strapping that came with the top. I was going to add a sheet of galvanized sheet metal on top of the strapping as the final ceiling but decided it was not necessary. The ceiling looked good just as it was. I plan to spray it with Krylon Fusion OD green paint so it blends in to the rest of the cab.

We also took a vinyl weatherstripping and notched it at the 2 corners to allow for the curves of the bottom edge of the Top. (where it will attach to the cab back wall) Allen will attach it to the bottom edge using lots of seam sealer and let it set. This way we can install it later tomorrow.

Here are some pictures I took of the work done today...:grd:

Attachments

goldneagle

Tuesday June 12, 2012. We finally installed the hard top on the M109A2 today. With some adjusting we got it all bolted in and the windows lined up properly. We used all 1/4" stainless steel bolts to attach the Top to the truck cab. Seam sealer was applied under the gasket where the top attaches to the back wall. All came out great. Only 2 cup holders were broken in the process. (flimsy chinese junk). Allen did a great job in the restoration and installation.

I now have a complete soft top kit available to anyone looking for one. I have 5 bows with the kit. I also have a slightly used soft top in tan that is about 2 years old. Got it new from Clintogf. PM me if interested. I will have pictures of the parts when I get a chance.

Here are pictures I took of the top installed at Allen's shop:

Attachments

Katahdin

M109 Roof Repair

I welded in 6 metal roof patches this weekend, here's some pics. This was my third time welding in rust patches, I think I'm getting better at it but there's plenty of room for improvement. The most time consuming part is grinding the pieces to fit, I actually took my 6 inch table-top grinder up onto the roof with me and that helped a lot. One thing new I used was a 26 grit flap wheel to grind down the welds, that was much smoother then using a grinding disk. This was also my first time using a punch & flange tool, the flange patches came out ok but I probably should have practiced with the tool first. :whistle:

Anywho, for filler I used fiberglass resin jelly, followed by Rustoleum Leak Seal, then paint. We got a good bit of rain last night and I checked the patches this morning and there's no roof leaks! :grd:

Attachments

1crook

The hardtop looks great. I am sure that your cab is going to be super quiet. Your truck looks awesome. I like all of the modifications that you have made. Your ride to the GA Rally this year will sure be a comfy one (hint, hint). :driver:

KaiserM109

You're an inspiration, dude. Maybe if I show your pic’s to my wife, she’ll be a little kinder to my project.

My truck is a 1966 Kaiser-Jeep with a NON-turbo engine (means poor power). I was particularly interested in seeing the pic’s of the back with the floor pulled up. My truck went to Iraq with the Arkansas Nat. Guard and was apparently ‘refurb’d. It has a layer of 5/8 plywood over the original floor and I have been afraid to lift it. I think my sheetmetal is, in general, a little better than yours. Except for the fact that someone stood on the hard top, right where it says “NO STEP”.

My plans are to fix up the parts that time hasn’t been kind to, like every piece of rubber, brake cylinders, seals, etc and make it a bit more road worthy. Then I want to put heavy duty shelf strips on the walls so that I can vary the configuration. One, and the most important one, is to put in kitchen, bathroom and bedding out of an RV since my reason for buying it was to make it an off-road camper.

I like your tires. Keep on truckin’ and keep the green side up.

Arlyn

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I finally went outside a took some new pictures of the truck with the hard top installed. It also shows the new mirrors I installed. I did not remove the blue plastic protector from the aluminum backs.
That rascal will look really good parked on "M109 Row" at the GA Rally GE!!:grin::grin:

BAZYRKYR

I sent my hard top to my friend Allen's to have it restored properly. After a week of part time work he got the Top repaired and repainted. He assembled the top and back section using the 1/4" stainless steel bolts I got for the job. He used the rubber gasket and seam sealer to seal the joint.

Today i went to Home Depot and picked up 2 rolls of 5/16" aluminum bubble wrap insulation. 24" wide by 25 feet long. We ended up installing 3 layers of the insulation on the ceiling of the Top. Afterwards we reinstalled the metal strapping that came with the top. I was going to add a sheet of galvanized sheet metal on top of the strapping as the final ceiling but decided it was not necessary. The ceiling looked good just as it was. I plan to spray it with Krylon Fusion OD green paint so it blends in to the rest of the cab.

We also took a vinyl weatherstripping and notched it at the 2 corners to allow for the curves of the bottom edge of the Top. (where it will attach to the cab back wall) Allen will attach it to the bottom edge using lots of seam sealer and let it set. This way we can install it later tomorrow.

Here are some pictures I took of the work done today...:grd:

NOW THAT IS AWESOME!!! I just got my hard top and it is in great shape but your restored top puts it to shame. I think I need to clone myself...and my bank account...so I can get my M109A3 done faster but with all the other items needed to thrive when our economy finally collapse money gets spent on all sorts of other stuff too. This month I'm gonna have to kick it in to over-drive.

o1951

I finally went outside a took some new pictures of the truck with the hard top installed. It also shows the new mirrors I installed. I did not remove the blue plastic protector from the aluminum backs.
Looks great in and out. now - what are you going to do with the rusty chain steering wheel lock? Spoils the image. Could clean it up and coat with liquid vinyl - stuff they make for reconditioning tool handles. Comes in lots of colors.

onegmjack

You have done a fine job on your 109 Goldneagle.I just read the whole tread.I try to read a long but the treads get long quick.Just take one at a time and read the whole thing.Hope to see you at the Ga.Rally this year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks