• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No High Range NP242

dodgemain

Hi,
Installed a used NP242 transfer case. Looks like I do not have High Range. HL, N, and L seem to work fine. Am I missing something here or is the transfer case junk? Seems weird the others work and H does not. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, there was a similar post 3 months ago. Turned out a part in the shift linkage was installed backwards and did not allow other parts of the linkage to move properly.

I hope your issue is just as simple.

I can't remember who posted.

Best,

T

NormB

IIRC, there was a similar post 3 months ago. Turned out a part in the shift linkage was installed backwards and did not allow other parts of the linkage to move properly.I hope your issue is just as simple.I can't remember who posted.Best,T
That would be MY first guess too. It took me a LOT more time than I thought it would to reinstall and adjust the control linkage for the TC in my truck.

Yes, I had the TM/manual, everything printed out, good lighting, etc.

It was just a matter of trial and error, maybe four or five times under the truck, up over the side into the "cab" to make sure the lever was forward again (I did try the method shown to lock the selector forward), it's pretty close quarters in there and it DID go together and DID and does shift fine, but also wouldn't go into HL at first.

Take a second look at the instructions, disassemble and do it again just to be sure.

Wire Fox

IIRC, there was a similar post 3 months ago. Turned out a part in the shift linkage was installed backwards and did not allow other parts of the linkage to move properly.

I hope your issue is just as simple.

I can't remember who posted.

Best,

T
I was that guy! As it turns out, I also had the wrong linkage piece attached to the transfercase. The little cam-shaped piece on the NP218 and NP242 are cut with a different angle for the slot, so you must use the right one. No skimping on $5 with that part!

Action

Four notches for t/c lever. H is the second from rear when moving by hand.
Are you saying you only get three positions? With two on one side of H snd one on the other?

NormB

Hi,
I have all 4 detents. But, when in H the second from the rear truck does not move.
Thanks
Sounds like you're in neutral. If you're turning the shifter by hand, you should get four distinct notches which you do.

They are: HL - H - N - L. "N" being second from the rear. THAT's on the INDICATOR as well on the TC.

tc indicator.jpg

The order on the TC is reversed from what you SEE on the shift indicator. Forward:back is L-N-H-HL

TC lever goes FORWARD, lever at TC goes opposite.

SO if you're TWO notches forward at the TC, that's in neutral.

Addendum (about 1740 HRS EST)

"Second from the rear"

Do you mean second NOTCH, or, THIRD notch (TC lever all the way to the rear is HL, moving TWO notches forward puts you in neutral).

at TC:

Positions (forward to BACK) 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
actual "gear" L N H HL

Which is the OPPOSITE of the indicator on the shifter in by the transmission shifter.

TWO notches FORWARD from the rear is NEUTRAL.

Look at the picture again.

Pushing the shifter forward pushes the lever at the TC backwards and vice-versa.

IMG_3657.jpg

Or tell me what I'm not getting.

Last edited:

Action

You're in neutral. If you're turning the shifter by hand, you should get four distinct notches which you do. They are: HL - H - N - L. "N" being second from the rear.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...enPjfLjeHE5_rZNGFrjfp87A&ust=1499285473753277
H is the second from front on the cabin shifter. When you push the cabin shifter forward, the lever pivots and pushes the arm on the T/C to the rear. So, if there is no linkage hooked up, H is the second position from the rear (on the T/C).

Dodgemain, why do you think the T/C is the problem. You could have something broken or disconnected anywhere in the driveline. usually a halfshaft.
Put in H and D, no brake. chock the wheels or have someone sit inside just in case it moves. See if one of the propshafts is turning. If so, follow that to its diff. See if one of the rotors is turning. If so, is that halfshaft turning. If halfshaft is not turning, but the rotor is, the joint between them is the problem. Give us a few more details.

You would get the same result if a good HMMWV has a tire jacked off the ground. H and D will just make the wheel spin, but L or HL will put power to other wheels, making the HMMWV move. Power to path of least resistance.

Last edited:

dodgemain

Thanks for all the help and ideas. But, it is starting to look like a bad transfer case. My truck drives/moves fine in HL and L. Truck does not move when it is in the H and N positions. It like I have two neutrals.

NormB

Thanks for all the help and ideas. But, it is starting to look like a bad transfer case. My truck drives/moves fine in HL and L. Truck does not move when it is in the H and N positions. It like I have two neutrals.
So sorry. But it's an easy enough thing to replace/repair. Shop around, they can be had for under $500, you can buy rebuild kits for much less than that.

Wire Fox

Whoa. Moves in HL but not H is blown CV joint.
What this guy said, and was explained out more thoroughly by another post earlier today in here. Put it on your "dead" H range and look for shafts spinning underneath. Your torsen differentials will sent ALL of the power to the least-resisting, broken joint. You could drive it with brake-throttle modulation for a short distance, or as you can already see, can drive it with the TC in one of the locked modes (though you're only driving two wheels.

Last edited:

dodgemain

Hi Guys,
Thought I would let you know I finally got my truck rolling again in H range. When I started this thread I forgot to mention one very important thing, that I did not have a front driveshaft installed. Once I found and installed a front driveshaft everything worked fine. That and not understanding how the differentials worked created all the confusion. Thanks for all the help.
Thanks again!

NormB

Hi Guys,
Thought I would let you know I finally got my truck rolling again in H range. When I started this thread I forgot to mention one very important thing, that I did not have a front driveshaft installed. Once I found and installed a front driveshaft everything worked fine. That and not understanding how the differentials worked created all the confusion. Thanks for all the help.
Thanks again!

In the word of the great Homer Simpson: “D’OH!”

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks