• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No isolated ground ??

mudmagnet63

Alt on drivers side has lug and wire going to stud on intake, I think this is the isolated ground?? The Pass side does not have this and gen light 2 is on ( very dim ). from reading can I swap these 2 alternators and achieve the needed isolated ground for the 24v system.

Thanks

Mud

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Isolated Ground does not mean how the alternator is hooked up.

Isolated ground is how the alternator is put together. Instead of using the case as a ground, the manufacturer installs a ground post that is "isolated" from the case. They acheive this by using fiber washers between the case and the internal electronics.

For stock wiring, only the passenger side alternator must have this "isolated ground", BECAUSE the wiring system is feeding 12v into the ground post on the passenger side. If the ground post was not "isolated" from the case, sparks will fly because it is just like a direct short across the battery.

The driver side only requires a standard alternator, but they install an "isolated ground" alternator so they only have to stock one type. The reason it has the black ground wire is because the case is not making the ground connection, the wire is.

If the alternators are factory and haven't been screwed up, then yes they can be moved from side to side. This is an easy way of checking the alternator and see if the problem follows it. Sounds like the passenger alt needs a rebuild.

Pleas label all wires before you disconnect them and reinstall in the same location.

The wiring diagrams in the tech manuals show how to hookup the alternators.
Appendix F in the -20 and Appendix E in the -34 (same diagrams).

The alternators have a couple of additional wires hooked up. They are for the ICE/STE diagnostic connection at the bottom of the dash.

Last edited:

mudmagnet63

Thanks for clearing that up warthog we are not sure what the previous owner did, but had batteries wired in parallel so only 12 v going to starter. She would barely turn over to start, Now she fires right up thanks to you for the wiring diagram. I have downloaded all the tech manuals and will give to my brother on monday when he gets back from the races. I'm fairly proficient at reading wiring diagrams but this 12-24 volt can be a bit confusing. Could having the batteries wired wrong have caused an alt failure?

Thanks

Mud

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have cut and pasted each of the wiring diagrams.

When I work on a particular issue I "color" the wires I am working with and then save and print that diagram. I think I have 20-30 printouts. That is where I got the battery diagram for you. All of them are at work.

I don't think the mis-wiring toasted the alt. I just think its time for a rebuild.

The -34 manual covers the testing of the alternator and how to install the washers for the "isolated ground"

taildragger03

Just to let you know, I have the same problem with my #2 alternator. Just a dull glow being on, usually at speed. One thing to check is the voltage output of you alternators. I have mine narrowed down to an over charge at 29 volts to the batteries. So basically I have a regulator problem inside. There are several write-ups and how to's on alternator rebuild.
Also like warthog stated, tag!!! your wires! I use zip ties to bundle those or tape and a digital camera to help me with the wires. Lots of issues have been resolved because of miss wiring on the alternators.
And of course we are here to help! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks