• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No lever to actuate front axle

ken326@yahoo.com

Friend has a duce and doesnt have the lever, bracket or anything to put it in 6wd. any body know why. it doesnt look like someone took it off it almost looks like it was never there. any ideas on why and where to get what i need to make it work.
thanks

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, check on the dash, down low just forward of the tranny shift lever for an air switch to operate the transfer case.

Your buddy's truck may have the easy shifting 6x6 feature installed on many of these trucks.

Rick

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like one with a sprag unit. on one that i got from gl had everything taken out and left me with a broken nipple in the air fittings under the dash though

dmetalmiki

ohhh yes it has

Look on the dash...in out ! that's the air "switch" to engage /disengage..as previously said..USE your manual...if he ha not got one..he should (really!) get one...( or look up the exellent references on steel soldiers manuals) essential for all the maintenabce occurences.. tell him to enjoy safely bieng somewhat " aufaaa" and keep on trucking..

ken326@yahoo.com

there is no lever that says in out and no missing paint like there was one. I hav an m35 a3 im assuming it looks similar right. i even looked under dash for something hanging or broken but i dont see any signs of it?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ken, earlier trucks did not use an air shift transfer case. They used what was called a sprag and it automatically engaged the front axle when the tires started to spin.

Since these earlier units engage themselves, they do not have an engagement switch under the dash.

Do a search of the forum for sprag and you will be rewarded with a world of information.

jimm1009

This is probably of absolutely no help now but here are two pictures.
Lay down on the ground on the right side of the truck with your feet pointing towards the rear axle and your head about the center of the battery box.
If you look up at the angle of my shot you will see a soft airline and an actuator mounted on the forward right side of the transfer case if you have an airshift unit but not if have a sprag unit.
The other shot is of the correct air switch for engaging the front axle if you don't have a sprag unit. The light comes on only when the front axle in engaged if everything is working correctly.

jimm1009

Attachments

emr

Well I will say it is over a gazillion threads already, if read u would have learned even more than this short thread, just sayin, it still will be worth looking up old threads and getting the low downs, there is alot to know about a sprag, if U do not learn it one day u will rip all the outside lugs off your front tires in about 40 miles . a sprag can and will work great for a very very long time, before adjustment. but one needs to know his truck, like said above, get the TMs and read there also, its all there...good luck,

ken326@yahoo.com

thats What i need pictures, thanks for taking the time to take the pictures, so now I know it has a sprag. ive been around quite a few of these trucks and i learn something new each time. this is the first one ive seen with sprag. ok now i have to learn how to fix it. front wheels never engage and makes a funky noise when in reverse on a slight hill.
thanks to all