• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Lights at all

coyote_hunter

Guys I've searched on here with no luck. I just bought my 1st m1008. When I bought it the lights worked. Yesterday I put a radio in it, and now I don't have any lights at all. I don't see how the radio could be the problem, I just ran a wire to a blank bat slot and a wire to a blank acc spot in the fuse box. I've found that I don't have any power to the fuse box on the terminals for the lights. I also don't have any power coming in or out of the service light switch. I do have power in the fuse box to other terminals. Any thoughts on where I should go for here?

Thanks in advance

original

Let's play trace that wire. I had a similiar probem with the wires to my heater blower motor. No power at the fuse box. I had to trace the wire all the way back. I found a severly corroded connection. Replaced the connection - everything worked fine. These trucks are old and many of them have set for long periods. Corrosion takes over the electrical connections in a short time. I would suggest tracing the wire and cleaning all connections. Do a search for a wire diagram. I'm sure I've seen a few in the forums.

A12ozProphet

I had a similar problem and it seemed to fix itself when I separated and re-connected the inside part of the fuse box with outside part. Re-seating all the terminals inside.

PS I've inadvertently hit my Black-out switch which "at least the first couple times" caused a second or two of panic.

Good luck!
Kent.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I bet the instrument panel plastic pushed your blackout light switch down. Happens to me on all those few times I get to work on my truck. First time I did it, I thought I had jacked something up only to find out the switch had gotten hit.

Let us know if this is it.....so we can make fun of you. :wink:

coyote_hunter

Well I took the fuse box off last night and couldn't see anything wrong with it. If I jump power to the light terminal in the fuse box it works. I had power coming from all of the red wires that run into the wiring harness. Does anyone know what wire powers the light terminal? I had 2 orange wires running out of the back side of that terminal.

No the blackout switch in the correct position and the service light switch was on.

coyote_hunter

For now I jumped terminal Z from one of the terminals that wasn't being used. Everything worked except my brake lights. The blinkers worked for a while, but when I took it out for a drive they quit working. This wiring crap it giving me a headache................

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So are you saying the wiring is crap or your understanding of the eletrical system is crap?

Disconnect your batteries and remove and clean all the fuses and fuse holders. Sometimes you also have to separate the fuse box and clean the internal connectors. This was talked about in an earlier post.

You must understand that these trucks are 25+ years old and where used in very harsh emvironments. The electrical connectors are prone to dirt and corosion.

Not picking on you, but if you are not prepaired to do the maintenance then I would suggest you by a different vehicle.

Also have you downloaded all the technical manuals for the truck? The have an excellent troubleshooting section and all the wiring diagrams are in the appendix.

Last edited:

edgebar

had the same problem. on the main fuse for the lights ( see tech manual for correct location) the socket was slightly burned, the military had wired in a new clip connector for the socket, but it was not actually molded into the plastic housing any longer so it came loose and the fuse was in the socket, but not conncted to both wires. check to be sure that than main light fuse socket is in working order. ended up being a 30second fix to a 2 week long nightly search for the problem...ggg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks