• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No lights on my M1008

restforyoursouls

All the lights recently stopped working on my M1008....no headlights, no taillights, nothing.

I've checked the fuse. It's good

I've ran a hot wire to the switch to make sure the switch was good. When I do that, I can get the headlights to come on.

I'm not getting any power to the light switch or the blackout system.

I'm very tempted to strip the whole wiring system out and find a 12 volt 6.2 diesel parts truck to get the wiring system and starter from but I'd like to fix the problem with out going to all that trouble if i can.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated...I want to get this thing back on the road!!!

beaubeau

I am not sure, but if I remember right there is a Ground wire, or a Hot wire near the Batts. at the Pass side Radiator support U should check. I will know more in another day, I got a 1008 comming in to be repaired with the same problem, but it is Intermittent. I shall keep U posted, Phil

mangus580

Crazy question, but you are aware in order to put the blackout switch into 'service' mode, you need to pull out on the switch before pushing up? It has been missed before.. and its the first place I start.

restforyoursouls

Thanks Phil, I'll be waiting to here back from you about the one you'll be working on.

Mangus, I think i am aware of that but I will do that first thing in the morning just to double check that I did in fact know that already :)

Keep em comin and i'll keep you posted.

tsmall07

Make sure you are checking the right fuse. It is different than the standard chevy trucks. I struggles with this for about 3 weeks checking the wrong fuse. :roll: The cause was a broken wire to the right front blinker grounding out.

The TM has the diagram for the correct positioning.

Last edited:

mangus580

Another thing.... make sure the fuse socket is good... I have seen some burn the terminals, and the fuse would seat properly.

restforyoursouls

i think i forgot to mention that I'm not getting any power to the fuse block for the lighting system....that would mean that the problem must be before the fuse block in the system, i believe.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Appendix e-13 and e-14 in the
TM 9-2320-289-34 is the service lighting schematic for your truck. It is downloadable from this site. It should guide you in the correct direction, of wiring anyway.

Matt

restforyoursouls

Thanks matt.... I've been all through the schematics trying to locate the problem and havent been able to yet. I appreciate it though. Thats kinda why i came in here, to ask you guys hoping someone has had this problem before. i'll be sure to check everything everyone has posted tomorrow again and i'll keep going through the schematics. Its getting to the point of frustrating.

dmc-4359

Thanks matt.... I've been all through the schematics trying to locate the problem and havent been able to yet. I appreciate it though. Thats kinda why i came in here, to ask you guys hoping someone has had this problem before. i'll be sure to check everything everyone has posted tomorrow again and i'll keep going through the schematics. Its getting to the point of frustrating.

My m1009 did this to me a week ago. All of the lights cut out while I was driving without any real event triggering it. I pulled out and traced everything under the dash I could and eventually noticed that the lights would come back on occasionally as if they had their own will. In fact they would turn on, stay on for some period of 5 to 10 seconds (it varied) and then would just cut back off again. I eventually discovered some manner of black plastic box with a cricuit board in it under the dash that had several broken wires leading to it. I believe it was causing my issue because I secured it (was just swinging from the wires) and haven't had lighting issues since.

I can take pictures but the previous owner did a real number to the wiring on this vehicle and I expect it will take me a few weekends to put everything back the way it should be...albeit, rocking a 12 volt setup these days.

ragedracer

Had this same issue with my m1009. Have you checked the fusible link that runs along the top of the firewall behind the air cleaner? Look for the ~6ga wire off the rear battery that heads towards a small distribution block near the glow plug relay. If there is no power to the distribution block, you have a blown fusible link. How could this happen? A million reasons! For me, It was a broken wire to the passenger headlight that was grounding out.

rr

Crash_AF

But if that fusible link was blown, there would be no 12V power at all...

Have you checked the battery feed wire to the headlight switch? It is the orange wire tagged as 'Orange 40C' in the diagram to see if it has power? That appears to be where all of the lighting system gets its power from. There is also a circuit breaker inside the headlight switch itself that might be faulty.

That's where I would start.

Later,
Joe

The orange power wire to the light switch comes from the fuse box. My light switch (apparently a common issue) went bad and I lost all lights. A new switch is not overly expensive. Since all the lighting power is run into and out of the light switch, it burns out. I wired relays to power my headlights, and used the hi and low beam wires from the light switch to switch the relays, then used the hi and low beam wires from where I had cut them at the relays to get juice to the lights.