• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No lights?

Vet89

Hello all, I was referred here by someone else and own a M1008 pickup.

I have a small problem and will say thank you in advance!

A few days ago the following items stopped working:
Headlights
Turn Signals
Brake Lights
Reverse Lights
etc

The windshield wipers work though!

I am confused - I checked the fuse box under the dash and nothing seems burnt out, I will manually take each one out and inspect it tomorrow.

I verified the switches for the blackout lights etc are in the correct positions.

Any ideas? I drove one of these things but was never the mechanic that fixed them.

Thank you in advance again!

forest522

Well that makes two of us out there! This week I plan on hitting the tech manuals and wiring diagrams (many downloaded from here) to chase the wires down.

Though I am not answering your question with a easy answer I do suspect that a previous owner may have altered the service light wiring. When I throw that switch to activate the "service lights" the horn goes off?!

Odd. I'll be checking the wiring soon and if I strike success, I'll post the formula! In meantime, if one of the seasoned experts here has the answer - that would be great too!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Hello all, I was referred here by someone else and own a M1008 pickup.

I have a small problem and will say thank you in advance!

A few days ago the following items stopped working:
Headlights
Turn Signals
Brake Lights
Reverse Lights
etc

The windshield wipers work though!

I am confused - I checked the fuse box under the dash and nothing seems burnt out, I will manually take each one out and inspect it tomorrow.

I verified the switches for the blackout lights etc are in the correct positions.

Any ideas? I drove one of these things but was never the mechanic that fixed them.

Thank you in advance again!
when I lost all light on my cucv, it was a burned out fuse.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Though I am not answering your question with a easy answer I do suspect that a previous owner may have altered the service light wiring. When I throw that switch to activate the "service lights" the horn goes off?!

!
the horn is functional only when the service lights are on, so it is possible that the button is stuck.

Vet89

the horn is functional only when the service lights are on, so it is possible that the button is stuck.
Yeppers, the horn does not work either.

I have flipped the switch for service lights - if it is stuck, any suggestions for repair?

Most of all thank you - I was told I would receive an immediate reply and I am very appreciative!!

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Yeppers, the horn does not work either.

I have flipped the switch for service lights - if it is stuck, any suggestions for repair?

Most of all thank you - I was told I would receive an immediate reply and I am very appreciative!!
sorry vet, i was refering to forest522's issue.

i would check the 30 amp fuse, and make sure all the contacts are clean for the fuses. I had various light problems with mine, cleaning all the grounds for the headlights, etc, and going through the fuse block solved everything.

top_prop

The horn switch activates a relay... it could be part of the problem too...

I just trouble shot a very similiar failure... I traced it to a loose head lamp fuse... I cleaned the contacts and pushed them closer together with my test probe... we'll see how long it lasts. After I did this my horn started to work (it never has), albeit now it works very weakly...

check this out if you haven't seen it: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/75505-cucv-wiring-diagram-color-except-m1010.html

Basically the power runs through the head lamp fuse... then to the black out switch... then to the head lights and the flasher/revers fuse... so start with the head lamp fuse.

cpf240

Well that makes two of us out there! This week I plan on hitting the tech manuals and wiring diagrams (many downloaded from here) to chase the wires down.

Odd. I'll be checking the wiring soon and if I strike success, I'll post the formula! In meantime, if one of the seasoned experts here has the answer - that would be great too!
Another thing to check is that, I believe, there is a diode in the wiring for the horn circuit, and if it has failed in an shorted condition, the horn will sound even if the horn button is not pressed or stuck. I had read about it on this forum, so a search should turn it up.

Oh, and there is also a BAR ( Big A$$ Relay ) under the dash for the BO lights that may be causing the Service lights to not work.

Vet89

Solved!

Thank you one and all - it was the Head Light 30 amp fuse. The light of day made it easier to pull them out one at a time. I swapped the fuse and the turn signal came on (even when the truck was off - I didnt know that). All lights work again.

The wiring diagrams were a big help and the photos from the linked posts - I didnt know what half of that crap was!

I hope to be able to repay the kindness as I go through the process of working on the truck.

Regards and thank you again to Forest522, Dr Evil Pork Chop, Dstang97, Terracoma, Top_Prop, and cpf240

lindyp38

as i recall when i first got my truck....that fuse would sometimes work loose.......i finally replaced all the fuses with fresh new ones..........and i keep extras on hand in the truck......good luck with ur truck....

forest522

Vet, great to hear your all set! This is a very good place to get directions and sources of issues with these MVs.

News on a similar situation...I pulled the fuse for the horn and found that my lights do indeed work. The hazards are out, and headlights but all else are working. Could be a few more things - loose headlamp fuse contacts, bad headlamp switch, and the hazard flasher could be faulty. But the good, GREAT, news is that i know where to start.

Gotta love this place!