• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Longer a 1st Time Painter - Thanks for the Help!

1stgear

Well, after getting the local paint shop to shoot my truck 2x and hating it both times, I decided to do it myself. Having never painted a vehicle before, only houses, I was a little aprehensive. I came to this forum and found out what paint to buy and how to reduce it. I used Gilespie 383 CARC Green. I mixed the paint 3:1 and it went on like a champ. I would have to say that the hardest part of the whole thing was taping off the front of the truck. I did the painting over 2 Saturdays. The first I pained the bed. The second I painted the front. Pictures below show the process.

Thanks again for the help in answering my questions!

Attachments

Barrman

Looks good. Now you will be looking for other stuff to turn green since you have the paint and the knowledge of how to use it now. Might want to warn your wife because lawn furniture really should be green you know.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good.

Next time you are up this way I will let you paint my Deuce for me. :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
swbradley1 said:
Looks good.

Next time you are up this way I will let you paint my Deuce for me. :)
:ditto: Nice work!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gilespie is very forgiving paint. MVs are very forgiving subjects. I enjoy painting them now, gives me great satisfaction.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic job, and it's much better than the paint job that the shop did. They probably mixed the paint with a hardener that gave it a "sheen" the first time.

1stgear

They probably mixed the paint with a hardener that gave it a "sheen" the first time.
That's exactly what he did. Told me that he thought the flat color would chalk up and he didnt' want his name associated with a paint job like that. I told him I didn't like the color and I'd fix it myself. I hate the fact that many business owner's forget who the customer is.

Cdub

Wow..........that came out really well...........!!!

Don't you just love MV's......you just tape up the glass and head lights and everything else gets painted........Cooool...

seya,

C'dub

Crash_AF

1stgear said:
That's exactly what he did. Told me that he thought the flat color would chalk up and he didnt' want his name associated with a paint job like that. I told him I didn't like the color and I'd fix it myself. I hate the fact that many business owner's forget who the customer is.
Then he should have turned down the job. It sucks when a business owner takes your money and doesn't give you what you asked for.

Later,
Joe

Crash_AF

I thought your 816 was pretty nice? Now MY 816 is a different story. Maybe we should have an 816 painting day... LOL

Just a question, how much paint did you use to paint your 1008? I'm going to be painting my Suburban soon and would like to know how much to order.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks