• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Longer a Parasite

motorman

Well here we are gentlemen. I believe that I am finally vindicated and am no longer a parasite who only takes from the host and has nothing to add. This is only true if through all this I have nothing to add . . . the verdict will be self evident from the membership.

Many thanks to all of you who have put your time in and documented it for us that are strong of back but weak of mind. Your works have been an inspiration.

Here it is.

I purchased a M1009 in October of 2010. Mechanically it was pretty sound and the hard to start problem was quickly diagnosed as the fuel filter base. Cosmetically the truck was in reasonable shape but there was some rot in the floor, all the rubber was shot and the dash pad was a retrofit cover.

Attachments

motorman

I subsequently purchased another M1009 for the sum of $740 with the intent to have a hanger queen for parts and the fact it had brand new rubber good year 31 10.50’s. 8 is better than 4!

Treated the blazer as my DD for 9 months and proceeded to work our all the kinks to where I would trust the thing to not leave me stranded. New glow plugs, belts, fuel filter base, rubber fuel lines and Doghead relay replacement were the first items on the list and then I was off to the races.

Complete fluid change oil, difs, trans flush (all of it), coolant

New calipers & pads
New fuel lift pump
Dropped oil pan and replaced rear seal and gasket. Bottom end looked gtg and the pan was not full of sludge.

Attachments

motorman

Once the mechanical was up to snuff I wanted more power. Not smart enough to do a 6bt or 4bt swap but too dumb to NOT bolt on a banks turbo. I purchased a partial Banks kit off e-bay and realized that I am was not capable to complete the missing parts and install. I then purchased (great price) on a new banks kit. Bolted on like a breeze and ended up making an instrument cluster to beat the band. When it came time to turn up the pump it was evident that God is merciful to a miserable sinner like me. With the stuff out of the way, looked in the hole and the hex head was staring me in the face. No need to turn the motor.

Making room for the banks intake I replaced both batteries with optima red tops (special from NAPA for $ 100 each) and relocated both on the rear tray.

I always wanted more data on the operating condition so I took a SAW ammo can and turned it into an instrument cluster panel. We now have data for boost, egt, oil press & temp, water temp, trans temp and 2 voltmeters. Also pre-wired some switches to add some lights on the front, rear, internally and eventually on a safari rack I have planned.

Attachments

zout

Motorman - nice job there fella. Next time I go East out 78 I will have to check you out and that machine. - Or see ya here at the cookout in April.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Now you have no EXCAUSE NOT to attend the 12GASSR (2012, GA., SS, RALLY)

motorman

Was the DD for the winter spring and summer and then decided to fix the rot.

Stripped everything out and sand blasted the tub. Fixed with POR 15 and the line-x d the whole shootin’ match.

Welded the holes closed, primed and painted this critter out in the yard with marine corp green to be a little darker. Will eventually go with the 3 color woodland.

Dyed the door panels and the good dash out of the parts truck.

With the dash out I cleaned the circuit board, bulb sockets and replaced the bulbs.

This is how it sits now and have the below list for completion.

1. Sandblast & paint bumpers and brush guard
2. Manual glow plug switch (for when the card dies and I am in the woods)
3. Drop the tank and replace the sending unit
4. Paint undercarriage to make cleaning easier
5. Wire license plate light
6. Wire interior lighting under seats and under bed rails
7. Wire 2 hole 12V power
8. Fabricate safari rack from front of cab to rear w/ enough space for a spare and overland stuff.
9. Lights, lights & more off road lights
10. Fabricate rear bumper with 2nd spare carrier and ladder to safari rack
11. Make a center console out of a 30mm mortar can
12. Winch
13. Hinge pins

Well how did I do?

Attachments

motorman

last pics

Attachments

motorman

Zout let me know when you are coming my way and ill give you the cooks tour. cookout where and when?

73M819 rally is on the books for 2012

midnight rider we are hitting the N GA forest service roads and having a ball it will be much better w/ a spare tire carrying bumper and safari rack for all our junk!

Cucvnut shifting to 4WD is easy. it clears all the way it is just the angle in the picture that makes it look awkward . . . is it pushbutton 4x4? NO but still no problem

Attachments

zout

Motorman - I think you just gave CUCV a stroke and he is needing to go to the ICU - that will make him twitch a bit and want to keep after his rig.

The cookout is April 21st over here in Lilburn - I have a thread on it somewhere in this realm - but as time gets closer you will see more.

That is some great workmanship and would really like to see your work in person - great detail.

No doubt you have to put the 2012 Ga Rally on your schedule - there is just not enough outstanding words to explain it - if you look at the last rally pics you can get an idea.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! Inspiring for sure.