• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No longer Stranded in Kansas with Air Brake Issue

thesledge

We have made it about 100 miles with no issues but just started loosing brake pressure. We got stopped and bled the system however, it will not fill all the way back up... Help!!! Thoughts!!! Give me a call if you could walk me through some troubleshooting...

Joe
719-375-4741

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you air up and drain everything before heading out?

Did you bring an air dryer service kit?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last time I was in a convoy to a MV event the 932 I was with went down for a clogged air dryer. He lost pressure and it would not build until he paid a mobile mech to bypass it.

thesledge

Guys, I think we got it figured out thanks to a call from another SS member!!! Thanks Paul! We were able to track down a air governor. After talking with Paul, it made sense that this is the issue. On the way back to the truck which is 20 miles west of Hays, Kansas. Will update again hopefully with good news. Thanks for all your help guys.

KaiserM109

... On the way back to the truck which is 20 miles west of Hays, Kansas. ...
Hayes, KS!!! That's where the transmission, for which you are hauling the replacement, started going out. That's also where my deuce skidded off the road in the rain when I picked it up at Riley 7 years ago.

We're anxiously awaiting news.

I told you wrong, there's weather coming your way. You will probably see light snow by noon.

Last edited:

thesledge

Well, we are back on the road and I can't wait to take a picture in the morning of what we did to get her back up and going. Lets just start with saying it involved 2 trips back and forth to Hays, Kansas and a $700 trip to Home Depot for a generator (decided last minute to leave mine at home) and an air compressor (once again, left mine at home). Oh well, we are closer to home now than we were. So, please pray that we make it home safely tonight with no further complications.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am very curious as to why you had to resort to a generator running an electric air compressor. Glad you made it home safe, update us when you can. Curious minds want to know...

I have also experienced the air drier issue. A bunch of spray kroil and repeated cycling got it working right.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing it was not the air governor.

I'm guessing he did not bring an air dryer service kit.

I'm guessing...

thesledge

Hey Guys. Well, yes, we ended up using the generator and compressor to supply air to the brake system right at the air dryer. This kept the system around 80psi and we had brakes for the remaining 300 mile trip home. However, as we got about 50 miles from home suddenly my windshield wipers cycled and the system went up to 110 psi. This was certainly perplexing to me at 4am this morning after having been up for 24 hours. The hose where we disconnected the dryer was obviously still disconnected and and yet it was still keeping 110 psi. However, all of the lower pressure items were working properly (horn, wipers). Anyways, I am not so sure that I am glad that it is working because I dont know what the problem was... Maybe something just had to get worked out of the system. Maybe some rust was in the lines, etc... We did drive through a terrible blizzard for about 100 miles and most everything under the truck was frozen, so that could have had some effect on helping break something free. Just a thought though. So, I am going to hook up the main supply line later today and see if it builds pressure normally. We had also changed the air governor before going the route of the generator/compressor and it did not resolve the issue. Anyways, it was a successful trip as we got home safely.
photo 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 4.jpg

KaiserM109

You get the Farmer's Association's Golden Bailing Wire Award for that work! I'm impressed and glad you're back home with all your equipment in your own yard.

This tells me that I need to get a lot more familiar with how the air system works on my truck.

I’m real glad you’re home and all your equipment is in your own yard. I’ll talk to you later about that transmission and the two tires you’re hauling from Glen’s place. I was sure impressed with dealing with Glen (91W350) at BFR Metals. He PM’d me this morning asking about you.