• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Longer STRANDED - MK48 exhaust elbow needed

TreadLite

Hello,

I'm in the process of recovering an MK48 and blew a hole in the exhaust. The unit has low miles (about 600)) and was recently rebuilt but has been sitting in wet climates for a few years. The top part by the clamp was rusty and had a hole and then it blew out a 4+inch hole in a new spot as we were driving.
It's on the passenger side and connects the manifold to the pipe going up to the turbo. I'm in Clayton, NM on my way north. I'll pull it off in the next few hours and post some pics. Any one have a parts MK around or know where I could track one down.

Thanks!

Wayne

Here's a couple pics until I start the recovery thread:
IMG_8791.jpgIMG_8815.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in Guymon, OK. I don't have any 2 stroke parts, but I will make some calls.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Can you use a large band clamp to patch it with until you get it home? If it is on a flat section you could use a piece of thin metal to wrap around it and then clamp the crap out of it on either side of the hole.

Is there a welding or muffler shop close by that could patch it?

Just my thoughts.

TreadLite

Which one do you need, Left or Right? need clamps also?

View attachment 646697
Thanks for the legwork. This one is a little different as the turbo is offset to the passenger side. Still looking for a diagram like yours to make things easier. Here's a couple pics:

This is the piece. It's the green elbow. You can see the crack on the top where the clamp is and then the hole on the radius:
IMG_8834.jpg
Here is a pic of the overall system:
IMG_8833.jpg

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My bad, I didnt realize the MK48 was that much different than a 977. Here is the correct page.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_3.png

I am having difficulty's getting anyone to answer their phones.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I talked to a couple of shops that work on oilfield 8/92's, and sent them the pics, they said that they don't have any setup's like that, all of theirs have the turbo on the top of the blower like a 977.

They suggested taking off the insulation and using a tin can, not a beer can, split it down the side. It might take 2 or 3 cans, and big hose clamps. It would not be leak proof but it would be much better.

Sorry I couldnt have been more help.

TreadLite

I talked to a couple of shops that work on oilfield 8/92's, and sent them the pics, they said that they don't have any setup's like that, all of theirs have the turbo on the top of the blower like a 977.

They suggested taking off the insulation and using a tin can, not a beer can, split it down the side. It might take 2 or 3 cans, and big hose clamps. It would not be leak proof but it would be much better.

Sorry I couldnt have been more help.
Thanks so much for your time spent on this and making the calls - I really appreciate it. I hadn't thought of tin cans but that could work. I'm worried about old pieces of the pipe breaking off and going through that turbo....

Thanks again for the help!

teletech

You might not have something that esoteric, most hose-supply shops sell silicone hose in large diameters for just that application.
It's not cheap, like $5 per inch, of course if you are driving a MK48 that's about what it cost you to go down the road. :)

TreadLite

You might not have something that esoteric, most hose-supply shops sell silicone hose in large diameters for just that application.
It's not cheap, like $5 per inch, of course if you are driving a MK48 that's about what it cost you to go down the road. :)
Haha, that figure is probably accurate. And good thought on the hose. I figured it would melt but I'll check into it.

TreadLite

Thanks for the legwork. This one is a little different as the turbo is offset to the passenger side. Still looking for a diagram like yours to make things easier. Here's a couple pics:

Here are the pages from the MK48's parts TM.

Thanks DS,

Has anyone had luck getting Detroit part numbers to correspond or cross-reference with the TM part numbers.

And DrillerSurplus, I might be fed up with this MK by UT if you are in the market for another one.

View attachment 646714

teletech

The shop near me has turbocharger/exhaust hose rated for exhaust, like so: http://www.masterduct.com/vehicle-exhaust-hoses

lots of layers of stainless shim stock (foil) and muffler putty would get you a long ways down the road I bet.

Haha, that figure is probably accurate. And good thought on the hose. I figured it would melt but I'll check into it.
I hear about 2MPG for those rigs, and they track poorly on the highways? I *love* the look and it would be the sweet way to transport my little tracked toys but I got scared. :)

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
if you use an exhaust hose like teletech suggested, makes sure its rated for at least 1000*F, EGT's on a 2 stroke will be 900*

WYomer

Wrap that pig in aluminum foil like crazy. Might have to use some bib O-clamps and some tin also but if you can make it hold it will get you home.

RDUKW

Silicone hose is not what you want. You will burn a hole thru it the first time you get in the throttle. Try to find a exhaust shop to fab up a new one out of a mandrel bend.

RDUKW

Your elbow was patched some time prior. The mat / wrap is not original. If your cones are good just cut the mandrel elbow out and put a new one back in. Also DO NOT wrap the elbow The attached picture is of a original elbow

Attachments

TreadLite

Your elbow was patched some time prior. The mat / wrap is not original. If your cones are good just cut the mandrel elbow out and put a new one back in. Also DO NOT wrap the elbow The attached picture is of a original elbow
Thanks for the picture! It gives me a clearer picture of what that thing looks like. Not sure who or when it was wrapped but it is on there solid. The truck was rebuilt in 2010 and only had 100 miles on when I got it. I assumed it was military to protect the hydraulic hose goes right beside it but who knows.

It looks like it's just a 3 inch elbow with the ends welded on. Should be a relatively easy fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks