• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Magnetic Relay

davidkroberts

well it was finally my turn with this M35A2 to get the well known deuce mystery no start. Well I was trouble shooting the thing and I CANNOT FIND the magnetic starter relay that is usually right above the starter. Did they put them somewhere other than right on top of the starter on the block?

Well anyway the starter was working fine then nothing. No clicks no buzz nothing. So either the engine is locked up, the starter is bad, I have a relay starter switch problem, ect.... I ran out of light before I could search extensively so i thought i would ask and save me some time. I dont remember the battery meter showing a load when you push the switch the last time the relay went out but stranger things have happened. I cant imagine the starter going from perfect to bad but you never know.

davidkroberts

well that would explain allot, that switch was never designed for that much of a load. Probably fried that too. Thanks, you would think with the hack wiring jobs i have seen with CUCV's I would expect some silly wiring changes......:shock:

Thanks for the help,

jasonjc

One of my truck was missinr the MSR and the start switch. I put in a switch that I had and it has worked fine for years. But thats just my $0.02.

SMOKEWAGON66

Mine didnt have that relay connected when I got it, and it looked like it hadnt been connected in MANY years...no problem so far with it so...Im not worried about it :driver:

Katahdin

Mine also doesn't have the relay. Check the starter button wiring/plug. The wiring might have kinked. The plug may have pulled away from the switch, or the contacts inside the plug may need to be bent back into position to better connect with the prongs on the switch. Also check those connections with a OHM/Voltage meter.

PsycoBob

I didn't even know my truck had one until I tried to spot-weld a wrench to it while swapping turbo's. One truck had it turned so the contacts were in a safer position.

Both the ones I've seen were mounted in the same spot- behind the lower half of the air-filter housing, on the engine. I'm not even sure it's visible with the air-filter housing in there, even from above.

A friend had a no-crank issue with his M109a3, resolved it with a firm whack with a hammer to the flywheel end of the starter while someone held the button. Might be a good idea to check that all the cable ends are secure & clean, both the crimp/wire & crimp/bolt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks