• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No more $50.00 starting bids for Demil B & Q Property

dm22630

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: No more $50.00 starting bids for Demil B

GL is about to have a huge amount of unpurchased trailers piling up around the country I see...... :roll:

Daneil

Re: RE: Re: RE: No more $50.00 starting bids for Demil B &am

tamangel said:
Hey if the world poverty bill passes every man woman and child in America will be paying $2,000 more each year to support people who hate America in many ways.
once again, BS abounds..'respectively' of course..

Summary of the Global Poverty Act Bill:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s110-2433&tab=summary

Cost:
"Based on information from the State Department, CBO estimates that implementing S. 2433
would cost less than $1 million per year, assuming the availability of appropriated funds.
Enacting the bill would not affect direct spending or receipts."
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billreport.xpd?bill=s110-2433&type=cbo

Mike

"The mind can weave itself warmly in the cocoon of its
own thoughts, and dwell a hermit anywhere."
James Russell Lowell

Regardless if it's 1 million or 100 trillion. This is a job for the United Nations. They need to start pulling and paying thier own weight. They do nothing except use N.Y.C. resources. They need to earn there keep, and do the job they were designed to do. Just my thoughts on the U.N.. A waste of space. You know, we could house the homeless of N.Y.C. in that building. Now that would be usefull.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

every man woman and child in America will be paying $2,000 more each year
Kinda makes that($600/person) Economic Stimulus check, seem like chump change, huh. If they thought $1200 per married household was going to spur on our economy, then paying out $2000 per person ,will surely kill our failing economy!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: No more $50.00 starting bids for Dem

dm22630 said:
GL is about to have a huge amount of unpurchased trailers piling up around the country I see...... :roll:
I wonder if they will start selling trailers with two or three in a lot. I guess they'll have to if they want to get rid of them. If they start doing this I'll bet the price per trailer will go down as most people just want one. If they still sell them one at a time though people may still buy them and the price of trailers will get more expensive across the board because where else are you going to get them?

OSO

Got my notice yesterday about the price increase on bid min. I guess GL is losing money somewhere else , just have to jack costs from some place. 2cents

CGarbee

I was over at one of the yards last week picking up a truck and noticed an entire load of stuff (filled a 900 series cargo truck with a trailer) headed accross the scales and then on over to the shred bins. I had gotten a good look at the contents while the driver was pushing paperwork as we parked side by side at the gate... he had intervehicular cables, slave cables, jerry can holders, radio antennas/bases/mounting brackets, the doors to an equipment locker, etc...
The GL rep on the yard said that it just wasn't enough usuable stuff to be worth picking through to make any sales lots. Small quantities of any given item go to the shredder, large quantities go down the road to another yard that has more room, he keeps vehicles and moderate size lots that bring in more $$.
I was realy tempted to see if some of the stuff would levitate into the back of my M817, but thought better than to try considering the number of folks and security cameras in the area...
I got the bid increase letter that evening...
Sad...

dm22630

CGarbee said:
I was over at one of the yards last week picking up a truck and noticed an entire load of stuff (filled a 900 series cargo truck with a trailer) headed accross the scales and then on over to the shred bins. I had gotten a good look at the contents while the driver was pushing paperwork as we parked side by side at the gate... he had intervehicular cables, slave cables, jerry can holders, radio antennas/bases/mounting brackets, the doors to an equipment locker, etc...
The GL rep on the yard said that it just wasn't enough usuable stuff to be worth picking through to make any sales lots. Small quantities of any given item go to the shredder, large quantities go down the road to another yard that has more room, he keeps vehicles and moderate size lots that bring in more $$.
I was realy tempted to see if some of the stuff would levitate into the back of my M817, but thought better than to try considering the number of folks and security cameras in the area...
I got the bid increase letter that evening...
Sad...

Not that I am in favor of destroying usable items.....BUT......

This is a rare example of the govt NOT wasting $$$! Think of how many manhours would be used to sort/itemize/list/load/move all that stuff! By shredding it & selling what comes out of the shredder, the taxpayers are SAVING much more than they would gain by selling it by the lot.

I do think though.....that if you see something of value in a container/truck/etc that is going to be sent to the shredder.....then you should be able to pick it out & pay by the weight (that the govt would sell as scrap anyway).

Who knows though.......they would probably end up wanting you to fill out an EUC for a slave cable!

2cents

M37Dodge

GL does try . . .

GL took ~28 days to do my EUC and ~45 days to do my SF97 for my M101A1 - to appologize for being tardy - the $60 SF97 fee was waived. That made me smile.

Also, the guy at the Letterkenny GL yard that helped me hook up my trailer was polite, helpful, and knowedgeable about the yard. Too bad Letterkenny GL is closing - future items will be sold off in VA.

CGarbee

dm22630 said:
This is a rare example of the govt NOT wasting $$$! Think of how many manhours would be used to sort/itemize/list/load/move all that stuff! By shredding it & selling what comes out of the shredder, the taxpayers are SAVING much more than they would gain by selling it by the lot.
Actually, the sad thing is that I don't think that they really saved a lot of money... The stuff all got removed by hand (by six soldiers), cataloged (by two other soldiers), seperated into different shred bins (depending on material), then shredded.

The Gov't (ie, the soldiers involved) did as much manual labor and paperwork as they would have done if they had been turning in the stuff for sale "as is" by GL.

DRMO saved some (perhaps) in the review and filing of the paperwork as opposed to review and pass on to GL...
GL saved having to list the items for sale, and in moving them to the sales line, and in processing the sale, and in loadout... But they just raised the minimum bid...

I would have paid more than scrap prices for the cables, mounts, and holders that I saw...

So, considering that the folks involved in the shredding process are doing what appears to be similar work, I'm not sure in this instance that the taxpayer bottom line was greater.

I'll admit that my earlier post made it appear as if the material was tossed in the truck, and that it was then just shredded and sold by the pound. Would the reduction in effort ((by folks that are still getting paid, but whom would have been doing other work one would suppose...) be enough to offset the decrease in the price per pound paid for some items in the mix?? Who knows...?

I saw the same things today when I went to snag another truck... Wish that they would take the scrap bins and let them sit for a week or so before they shredded them and alowed me to do a little dumpster diving. :) I'd happilly give them scrap price plus a percentage to pick some of this stuff out before the rest went into the machine... And, yes, I agree that somebody likely would want me to fill out an EUC on the stuff, and wait, and that would be another reason to kill this idea... Then again, I like that idea that has been floated (but that we also will not see) of a "blanket" EUC that was good for some time period... I've had enough of them cleared in the last six months to have somebody very familliar with my name, and I know several folks who are at least as prolific...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
$150 sounds like an arbitrary amount selected by some empty suit upstairs in GL that has no clue about anything. Does this sound familiar...like everything else GL does?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, whatever the case may be, I did get a canned 6.2 in the last $50 starting bid sale and got it for $50. Thank you GL. Now, anyone have an extra 6.2 can they want to scrap?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess the illusive ,$50 NOS jeep in a crate will be just a memory now.

dm22630

gimpyrobb said:
Come on! Arbitrary amount? Someone wanted 3x the profits.

I would GUESS from GL's standpoint......a HUGE $5.00 buyers premium really isnt worth the time it takes to process a sale if it is a $50 starting bid.

BUT.....

They are going to have a LOT of "no bid" auctions I think.....and if thats the case, they may revert back to the old way of doing things.

Personally, I think everything should start out at $1.00

2cents

randyscycle

I'd think a "yard sale" would be in order, or perhaps a good old fashioned on-site auction to unload all those little items, and let the buyer sort and haul the results.

Many businesses have done this to unload excess stock and actually make money from it too, while only involving just a few employees.....of course I know the govt isn't into thinking things through or making a logical decision, but still, there are better ways than just trashing the stuff, even if they do get scrap prices.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks