• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No more titles from maine!@!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hi Guys,
Just got a call from International title company. Maine is no longer doing titles for military trucks. They said 1970 duces were ok. I tryied to title my 1984 M923 and a 1993 M35a3 through them and the MVA told them no. They tried side track them and the answer was no..
So...I called another title company in MAine. They also told me the MVA has new rules. The answer again was no.
Any idears? before i apply for a Form97?....

Kevin...
decodeme@verizon.net

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can you call the Maine Motor Vehicle Dept. and get them to put something on paper or email so we can see the actual policy?

Someone will need to start working on this, like the Wisconsin issue.

datsunaholic

It just might mean that Maine isn't allowing the "Title Company" to wash titles through Maine anymore.

Why Maine? Your location says Maryland. Usually with the SF97, which costs a whole lot less than a Title company, it's not a big deal. As long as you fill out the SF97 request form properly.

dm22630

Wow....that sucks!

Something you COULD do......is title them as "1970" M923s/A3s etc.....then the paperwork would come from Alabama instead. There is no REASONABLE way for any DMV or cop on the side of the road to check the actual year unless they knew CARNAC personally.

The dash dataplates dont say anything about years (most of the time) & only have standard info & vehicle id #s.

2cents

jdmcgowen

Something you COULD do......is title them as "1970" M923s/A3s etc.. There is no REASONABLE way for any DMV or cop on the side of the road to check the actual year unless they knew CARNAC personally.

2cents
That's probably not a bad idea, my trucks a 66 jeep kaiser, but it's titled as a 76 am general. DMV nows nothing about these trucks.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as you don't get pulled over by a cop who is ex-military and had any interest in trucks while he was in the service. I know of at least two Maryland troopers who could bust you on a "1970" 900 series any day of the week... Any THAT would not be pretty.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing, but I think ITS is up against the one particular provision that made it easy to title in that state: No inspections of the vehicle. If Maine has instituted vehicle inspections, the paper mill machine we have enjoyed is over.

Again, this is just a supposition.

Rick

The last 3 SF97's I got came from Florida and only cost $60.00 ea from GL.
Also got a bill of sale with each.

Last edited:

mpmutt

Interesting development with Maine. Massachusetts will not accept any of these title company titles from International or the old Broadway due to all the fraud they are involved with all the time, mostly with non MV vehicles. But we all pay the price for the guys that ruined it trying to commit tax evasion with their kit car Ford Shelbys and the other stuff. Older than 25 years old isnt as bad but 1984 and newer you have to have a real title from some state in hand to get the truck on the road now.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
FYI - The state of Maine is ONLY not issuing titles for AM GENERAL titles. Just put "Jeep" or "Jeep Corporation" and it should go through fine.

2cents
How did you find this out?

I am really curious if this is an issue where they simply aren't allowing title companies to use their state to "wash" titles anymore or if it is a new, specific policy regarding MV's.

If it is specific to MV's, then we need to put together a coalition like what happened in Wisconsin.

dm22630

I spoke with the owner of International Title Service about it. I just ordered an Alabama title through him & was concerned about his ability to obtain titles for M1009s (since they would have to be done in Maine). He told me that "Maine has stopped issuing titles for AM GENERAL trucks ONLY" & "Jeep, Kaiser-Jeep, Chevrolet, etc will all still be accepted".

So.....this info came right from the horses mouth.

If he is full of it, or if something changes, then you would not be charged for a service you did not receive.

One more thing.....

Title companies are LEGIT businesses that provide a valuable service. It is not like you are getting a fake ID from some guy in his basement! They are in partnerships with other licensed & bonded title companies that create a paper trail for an otherwise unknown vehicle. For a bunch of you guys to continually suggest that they are a scam or illegal is stupid. In my opinion, GL, which provides you a SF-97/title (depending on your state) is a much more "shady" company than ITS.

2cents

offroaddiesel

one question for ya, why maine , stick to your own state, i am in the process now and doesnt seem to be a problem. so maybe stick to your own state so maybe there will be no problems for us. i dont try to title in maryland. not a rant but there seems to be a lot of out of staters titling and reg. trucks up up ,as well as trailers. if i did it in anther state i can now be summons to court. steve

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I spoke with the owner of International Title Service about it. I just ordered an Alabama title through him & was concerned about his ability to obtain titles for M1009s (since they would have to be done in Maine). He told me that "Maine has stopped issuing titles for AM GENERAL trucks ONLY" & "Jeep, Kaiser-Jeep, Chevrolet, etc will all still be accepted".

So.....this info came right from the horses mouth.
That's worse news. Somebody needs to look into this and find out what's going on. If it starts with AM G, you can be sure it won't stop with AM G. And even if it is a mistake or a poorly worded policy, it still needs to be addressed due to all the older AM G models that are legal/legit (6x6, etc.).

Is there someone there that is friends with a DMV employee who can quietly look into this without making waves?

dm22630

one question for ya, why maine , stick to your own state, i am in the process now and doesnt seem to be a problem. so maybe stick to your own state so maybe there will be no problems for us. i dont try to title in maryland. not a rant but there seems to be a lot of out of staters titling and reg. trucks up up ,as well as trailers. if i did it in anther state i can now be summons to court. steve
Why Maine? Due to the majority of states having STUPID requirements to title a vehicle, your state is the in the unique position of profiting from us (i.e. --- more income to the state, less taxes for you). For whatever reasons, your legislature & dept of motor vehicles has decided to allow the registration of vehicles to non-residents. We pay all the same transfer/titling taxes as you do.

Titles are simply another thing Maine exports. Much like all of these fine products --> Maine Exports by Industry

Personally, I think what the VAST majority of people that own expensive RVs do is BS. They buy a million dollar RV & register it in Florida or Montana, where there are NO personal property taxes. This in effect removes a large chunk of cash each year from their local govts.....but is perfectly legal (unless their local govts get wise & see that they are parked in that county/town....but registered out of state & then file violations against them).

2cents