• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No oil pressure after rear main seal changed

HOWEY

I,ve no oil pressure after doing a rear main seal and timing cover seal change, did everything methodically but on start up no oil pressure:(
Turned off engine, checked oil sensor connection, all good, restarted engine left her for no more than 30 secs and i heared a sound like woop woop coming from air filter, turned her off....
Im getting back pressure through the intake thats what the sound was :( not only that but my new antifreeze had foamed up to an extent in the top of the rad,i didnt let her run for more than 35 seconds, what the feck is going on????
Put new belts on her also.....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Unplug the fuel shot off silinoid from the top of the IP pump then do a comp test of each Cyclender, I'm thinking you have a blown head gasket.

indy4x4fab

Banned
But it didnt run for more than 35 seconds??
Head gaskets don't always just blow, sometimes they can start out as a pin hole size leak and can be very hard to detect until the gasket give altogether. Doing a comp test will also rule out a blown head gasket which would cause the coolent level to drop on the compition side but if an oil passage had given way it would also cause the coolent to change to a muddy color and look.

Stonepicker1

If all was good with the engine before you started the repairs...I would say that when you dropped the oil pan and un-bolted the oil pump to replace the rear seal that something didn't go back together right.

On the timing cover...you had to remove the water pump...problem might be there on the re-install.

2cents

HOWEY

If all was good with the engine before you started the repairs...I would say that when you dropped the oil pan and un-bolted the oil pump to replace the rear seal that something didn't go back together right.

On the timing cover...you had to remove the water pump...problem might be there on the re-install.

2cents
Stonepicker im pretty sure the bottom end went together 100% i didnt replace the timing cover just the seal and balancer. :confused:
Would no oil pressure for 35 seconds blow a head gasket? Engine hardly got warm?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See if you can rent or borrow a radiator pressure tester. It will help diagnose a blown head gasket.

You may also want to install a temporary oil pressure gauge to check the oil preassure.

Running for less that 30 seconds shouldn't hurt the head gaskets but may hurt the engine bearings.

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
Stonepicker im pretty sure the bottom end went together 100% i didnt replace the timing cover just the seal and balancer. :confused:
Would no oil pressure for 35 seconds blow a head gasket? Engine hardly got warm?
If parts are turning and moving and there's no oil flowing something is going to give sooner or later.

Question did you pull down on the oil screen by any small chance? If you did or u bumped it it may be sitting agents the bottom of the pan and causing the pump to not be able to suck enough oil threw the pump. I have seen this happen on SB Chevy engines before so this is just a thought.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to go with stonepicker1's idea. Did you reseat the vacuume pump to make sure everything aligned after R&R'ing the rear main bearing cap/oil pump?

Also, I wonder if there's the off chance that the engine spun up backwards like the multifuels can from time to time?

HOWEY

I'm going to go with stonepicker1's idea. Did you reseat the vacuume pump to make sure everything aligned after R&R'ing the rear main bearing cap/oil pump?

Also, I wonder if there's the off chance that the engine spun up backwards like the multifuels can from time to time?
No, didnt reseat it, will take it off tomorrow and try to prime the pump with a drill, looks like a head gasket is gone from the compression coming from the air filter intake...... sweet jesus, starting to get disheartened now, one step forward and two steps back.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks