• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Parking Brakes 1997 M1078

autolocators

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi we finally got this truck running but can't get parking brakes. All four corners have lines from parking brake shoes mounting up to frame but nothing on inside of frame rails connecting them. Please look at pics. We did connect the one right front line to a splitter that appears to tie into steering. This just doesnt seem right. (See first two pictures).Any help would be appreciated. We have normal brakes and we hold air but obviously no parking brakes.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Looks correct to me. Truck is held by spring brakes. When you put the dash valve in park does the truck roll? But you can still step on the brake pedal and stop? Do you have an air leak at your front red gladhand and you blocked it off so you can build air?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the problem right off it's tan.
I would have to look at mine to see where lines go.
If no one is able to help I'll take pictures and send to you. My phone number is 704-534 -4486 shoot me a text and I'll text them back to you. Saturday

autolocators

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks correct to me. Truck is held by spring brakes. When you put the dash valve in park does the truck roll? But you can still step on the brake pedal and stop? Do you have an air leak at your front red gladhand and you blocked it off so you can build air?
Truck does roll in Park yes but you can stop with pedal. Yes front gladhand is blocked off and shows good air pressure on gauge on dash.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the truck roll with no air pressure in the system? Please post a picture of the rear brake cans or pots or chambers, whatever term you prefer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You cannot block off either front gladhand. You must fix the cause of the air leak there. By blocking off the front red gladhand you are inadvertently feeding air into a towing release circuit for your spring brakes.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your rear brakes are not caged. If the truck won't roll with air drained, the problem is as described in post 12. If it WILL roll with air drained, the rear brake wedges are stuck.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Ok unblock the front gladhands and you will have parking brakes. It's a dangerous situation you have unintentionally created. The air leak on the front emergency side is usually caused by the check valve behind the bumper.

Rmtaunton

First , dump all the air, and get air brakes to engage to see if wedges are stuck if not check switch at bottom of brake handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the brakes work with the treadle (foot pedal) and the spring brakes fully engage when all the air is drained out, then somehow you have air feeding back into the spring brake release system. Or air lines are switched somewhere. Did you replace the check valve behind the front grill?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please include your state in your info, it's a site requirement.

Please attach pictures, not link them, it's a site requirement. (use the paperclip)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks