• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Passenger side blinker when lights are on????

pacebm

I have slowly worked my way thru most of the electrical gremlins in the M1009 but I'm confused on this one:

Lights off: Blinkers on both sides work perfectly, no issue

Lights on: Blinkers on driver side work as they should, Passenger side is on but will not blink and the blinker makes no noise inside the truck

I'm sure someone has had this happen to them............

Last edited:

scottladdy

Check the parking/blinker socket on the affected side. There is a somewhat weak link in the ground contact in those sockets that can cause the symptom you described. Also double check all grounds.

Hope this helps and please report back on your results.

pacebm

I cleaned and verified the grounds at the lights first thing but I am not sure what you mean by the socket. Do you mean for the bulb, blinker at fuse block, or some connector in the harness, etc.? Sorry but I am slowly learning about these electrical issues.

pacebm

I think I need to clarify because I did not explain it well in my initial post. The lights are on but they will not blink. I will update my original post.

cpf240

I agree with the earlier poster, that there must be a ground issue somewhere. Are the grounds for the headlights good? They connect up by the radiator. What the other poster was referring to is that the bulb socket has a ground tab that tends to corrode / break and not provide a good ground, and can cause all kinds of weird stuff with the lights.

rustystud

I have had this problem for years now and finally gave up. I completly tore down the front clip and went after every wire trying to find a problem. I installed grounds everywhere too. This is a common problem I have found out. I'm beginning to think it has to do with under sized wiries and the problem carrying the extra current with the lights on. At this point I only drive the truck in the day time anyway and I'm totally engrossed with getting the deuce ready for Alaska. So maybe next year I'll just start replacing the front wire loom altogether.

jpg

When you say, "and the blinker makes no noise inside the truck", this sounds similar to what happens when someone replaces their turn signal bulbs with LEDs. They don't draw enough current to trigger the blinker. The solution for those folks is to switch to a different blinker that triggers with the lower LED current. I wonder if that solution might help here?

Here is a thread on the topic, and a link to an LED-compatible blinker rated for 1-12 lamps. NAPA lists 10 different blinkers for this truck, depending on how many lamps it has to drive, and whether you want it to make noise.

I note that this blinker seems to have its own ground. That might make all the difference.

I don't know exactly why the headlights cause the blinker to stop triggering. It seems they must be reducing the voltage across the blinker. IIUC, that would have to be by raising the voltage at ground, or lowering it on the + side, or a combination of both. Or perhaps something inside the blinker is just old and tired, and the problem isn't in the harness at all.

Might the LED-compatible blinker be worth a shot? Given the amount of time you guys have spent on this, I'd be inclined to gamble with $21.50, just in case the blinker is at fault.

just spitballin...

the skull

My trailer lights wouldn't flash worth a darn when I plugged my trailer into the truck.
I swapped the little tin flasher out for one I had hanging around, it said "HD" and had a
clear plastic cover. No issues after that.

rustystud

If it's like mine, I replaced every front light socket. Replaced the blinker and I didn't go to LED just like the OP so that was not an issue. Bulbs are all the proper size.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you guys Have tried everything try cutting out the diode in the fuse box you only need it if you are using military radios.attachmentQHJNR9OR.jpg