• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no post on passnger side alt

irishvin

so on my m1009 i changed it back to 24 volt system they guy had it before me just switched the 2 battery's around so they weren't charging in series. instead they were running in parallel. so i switched it back. passenger side alt wires weren't hooked up so i thought i could just hook them up be down and minor the same wiring off my m1008. well nothing ever easy i think iam missing a post off the alt can any one show me how i could fix this problem?
the engine that's in the truck was a take out from another M1009 and that truck was wired in 24v and both alt were hooked up. so i know it works but iam just need to double check before i fry anything

so my question do i need this post and is there any way i could replicate this post as well ?

Alternator - labeled 23.gif

thanks for the help -vinny

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing the alternator without a ground stud is NOT an isolated ground alt.

It cannot be used on the passenger side.

It could be used on the drivers side. (but you will need one with the isolated ground to put on the passenger side, is your other one the correct isolated ground?)

So, if you have at least one with the ground stud(isolated ground), you can get rolling.

Keith_J

That is the isolated ground post, on the right (passenger) side, it is a must as that terminal is connected to the rear battery negative which is also the front battery positive. So yes, for original wiring, you need it.

Now, if the left alternator has it, you could swap out the left for the right since the left alternator is perfectly happy being case negative as it will ground properly and charge the front battery.

Yes, you can modify that alternator if you can find the parts. You will have to use the other alternator as a pattern and probably fabricate the necessary isolated negative wire.

irishvin

ok that what i kinda thought just needed to double check. my M1008 is wired to book. but it doesn't explain how it was ruining and charging before i pulled the engine out of the old truck drooped it in this one? well looks like ill have to get another alt with isolated ground thanks doghead for double check

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had one of these you could modify a civvy 27si alternator to an isolated ground unit.

Ground Terminal.jpg

There is more to switching back to 24 than just hooking up the batteries properly. Depending on how the PO modified the wiring, it may take some serious troubleshooting to figure it out. The reason it was still working after you switch the battery hookups is that the alternator wiring is still setup for 12v.

Did you change out you starter when you changed the battery wiring?

Last edited:

irishvin

yes i changed the starter that's the hole reason for changing it all back because the 12v starter broke ....

can i run it with just one alt for a bit ...obliviously its not gonna charge both battery's but its better then nothing

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can run it without any alternators if needed. Only issue is the limited number of starts without recharging the batteries.

irishvin

Now, if the left alternator has it, you could swap out the left for the right since the left alternator is perfectly happy being case negative as it will ground properly and charge the front battery..
just so were clear the left alt has the post i can switch the 2 connect it and it should work with out problem .....i thought there was a diff between alts ....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I said in post#2.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Joe, do you have any more of those kits? Google netted nothing.Reference the alternators, both CUCV alternators are identical. It's their position on the truck that dictates the need for the isolated ground. Both have stud for STE/ICE equipment but only the drivers side uses it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks