• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power at white/black wire for lights

Gov Junk

Yes I have studied the schematics so much yesterday that I literally dreamed about them last night, and am sore today from laying under the dash all yesterday too.

On a M1031...no lights (dash, head, tail, blinkers, markers) but the b/o & service toggles were robbed, so replaced the service toggle. Still nothing anywhere. Then realized there is no pwr into the white & white with black stripped wire on the service toggle. What all does that power? Looked several times & cannot follow it back to the fusebox or anywhere else on the schematic.
I am guessing that may be part of the instrument lights...so checked the fuse box & no pwr there on either side of the instrument light fuse; where does that fuse get pwr from (connected to anything else or just within the fuse bx itself)?

There is pwr to the orange feed into the service light switch & out the blk/org into the main headlight switch, but still no headlights...I'm wondering if I have a bad headlight switch or the white wire has somthing to do with that too?

mistaken1

We need warthog. In the mean time see if this helps. It was colored by unclesam, I combined the two pages.

If you have power into the main headlight switch do you measure power out? If not may very well be a bad switch.

Do not forget the grounds. Technically electrons flow from negative to positive. Without a solid ground (negative) things will not work or will not work correctly.

Attachments

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHAT Mistaken1 said.

but SPECIFICALLY check the ground wire. it's up under the dash on the drivers side wall WAY up under the dash.

it's a three pronged affair (three spades in a row) and there should be ONE ground wire that goes up to that. mine LOOKED good but as soon as I touched it - well it literally fell apart. I traced it back to good wire, spliced in a new wire with a new spade a plugged that in.

I had lights.

OH, do you have a functioning fuel gauge? if not, then definitely check the ground wire

How about a functioning voltmeter? Does the truck run?

we need a bit more info - it's like trying to hit a fly with a shotgun... if we get lucky, then you get a good answer... if not, then we have failed and you go away unhappy... NONE of which we want

Gov Junk

Mistaken1 - no pwr out the headlight switch. I believe it's new, but that does not mean its not bad.
The ground is good but I'll double check it.
Wallew - no the fuel gauge does not work; I put a new ground on it, at the tank, yesterday but it still doesn't function & wire into cab looks good.
Voltmeter works & truck runs great!
The white wires to & from the service light switch is what's really got me bum-fuzzled :-?

Gov Junk

GOT IT!!!
As much as I hate to admit, it was partly a ground issue. The switch itself was not grounding good through the dash...I found that out accidentally - thank you Lord! Cause when I had the switch pulled out of the dash hole & dangling, I used a jumper ground from the dash multi spade terminal to my switch & it worked fine.
Then also realized that my main light 30amp in fuse box was loose & was sometimes not feeding it all constant power. I put some elec grease on that & bent around on the fuse prongs so now tight.
Thanks for y'alls help...this site is so cool!!!:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks