• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Power Steering

tgtaylor64

While my son was backing a trailer, the PS went out. Expected to see a leaking hose but all hoses and belts under hood looked fine. Some PS fluid was dripping from the bottom of the reservoir but that was due to foaming and it was coming out the top. Fluid level was good. Brake system was good and full of DOT5. Figured it was due to a failed pump. Just put a new one on yesterday (with a new o-ring on the metal line that goes in the rear) but nothing changed; still no power steering. Nothing is whining and it does not appear to be foaming anymore. I had used ATF before but was out so I filled the reservoir with new GM approved PS fluid. Could that be part of the issue? Should I drain it and put in ATF? Anything else to try?

cucvrus

Did you elevate the front end and bleed all the air out of the system? And dumb as it may be does it steer manually? I want to rule out a locked up outer front axle U joint.

tgtaylor64

Did you elevate the front end and bleed all the air out of the system? And dumb as it may be does it steer manually? I want to rule out a locked up outer front axle U joint.
Yes I did. According to the TM while also pumping the brake. It does steer manually. Dumped the PS fluid and added Dexron ATF. No change. No bubbles or foaming but absolutely no power assist.

Bigbondo007

If the brakes are working, the pump is working. I've seen the ps rubber lines to the gearbox collapse internally and create a blockage causing the steering to go out.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

tgtaylor64

If the brakes are working, the pump is working. I've seen the ps rubber lines to the gearbox collapse internally and create a blockage causing the steering to go out.

Do the TMs address a procedure for going through the system to try and isolate the problem?

Bigbondo007

I'm afraid manufacturers testing procedures would include specific testing tools which would be just as expensive as throwing parts at it. Sad to say that. Maybe you could create pressure testing hose and Guage assemblies? I'd say remove those hoses and check for obstructions to and from the gearbox.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks